Monday, July 25, 2011

NFL Back, NBA Please Follow

I have not wrote a blog post in a long long time, between my actually job, my wife and kids, and my basketball website, www.alleyesonuhoops.com, I haven't had much time. I should get back at it, but then again, who reads it?

Anyway, so today officially the NFL lockout ended, I was never worried because I knew that the NFL makes way too much money to give up. Lets look at what we missed. 7on7s, OTA's, everything the players hate. It hurt the rookies and the undrafted free agents, but that is about it. The NFL was the lead story on Sports Center even with the NHL and NBA playoffs, MLB getting going, and having a All Star game, and the Women's World Cup, plus a few Tennis and Golf majors. I really think they had the deal done a while ago, they knew what each side would get, and what they wouldn't, they just wanted to wait to the date that they needed to get back to not lose any real games, and that is what they did. But I am very happy that football will be here soon.

As for the NBA they are in a lot more trouble. The owners want a hard cap, or course the players don't. They don't want things like sign and trades to be taking away because that is a way that a player can play for the new team he wants while still getting the max money he wants. The one thing that may save the NBA season is guys going over seas. I believe that David Stern is a smart mart and you don't want your game to be off, when it just had its best ratings in a long time. The NBA has their story line. Lebron and Co. going for a title, will it work? Will they ever win? How many can they win? It's Lebron vs. the World and the winner is the NBA. As long as they have a season. You can not have guys playing over seas because unlike football there are actually leagues over there with good talent, not top NBA talent but still good, and guys can make some good money and be treated like kings over there. The fans love them and that helps their worldwide marketability. The NBA needs a season way more then the players do. There are places they can play and still make good money. I just hope they save the season, I just haven't heard anything yet to believe they can.

The Pistons hired a new coach, finally, and it's Lawrence Frank. I really like that hire as a Pistons fan because though it isn't the "sexy" hire it is a great basketball hire. Lawrence Frank knows the game, and has coached at the NBA level as a head coach, and assistant. He will help the team, who ever is on the team, when ever they start to play again. Frank may not sell tickets, but I do believe he will help win more games, and that will then help sell more tickets. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: