Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Game 7s

I will be the first to admit I am not the biggest NHL fan by any means, in fact, I barley watch during the reg. season. But playoff hockey is just so much better, if you are a sports fan, you have to watch. The best part of the playoffs, is game 7, any hockey series that gets to game 7 is a must watch for all true sports fan. In the next two days, there are 3 of them to watch. One featuring the two best players in the league, one with a 6th seed in the east, trying to beat the one seed, after beating the 3 seed, last round, in game 7, and the other has the defending champs against a 8 seed, who has lots of talent, and enough guys from the team that won the cup in 07, that know how to get the job done. The thing about hockey is each goal means so much, so maybe there isn't a lot of scoring, but if it is tied or a one goal game late, there is so much emotion and energy in the area, and on the ice, it is hard not to get swept up in it. It is also the only sport where you can play really really well and lose 1-0. You just run in to a hot goalie and there is nothing you can do. It is just great to watch, and I am looking forward to all 3.

In the pens game tonight, I will cheer for them, basically because I have two friends mckay and drew, who are both pens fans, and I don't know anyone who likes the caps, so why no. I do think the Pens will win, it should be a great game, and I know the caps are at home, but I like the pens to win 4-2

In the Boston game, they come home, after facing elimination already once, but they have a injury to be worried about. There also is the fact that the Hurricanes already won one game 7 on the road in this years playoffs. I like the Hurricanes, they have one of those feels of a team that is just going to find a way to advance every round. I like them to win 2-1

In the wings game I will be cheering hard for the wings. Again, I will not pretend like I am a big red wings fan, because I am not. But I like them, and almost all of my friends do, so it is fun to cheer with them, and see everyone having a good time. Me and my buddy from high school Dan, also do shots over the phone for every red wings goal, so you got to love that. I think being at home, the wings will get the job done, and win the game 4-1, they are just the better team.


In other sports news, big bad bobby jenks was fined $750 for throwing behind I Kinsler. Yeah, that's right, 7 hundred and 50 bucks. The dude makes over 6,000 a pitch, as he is making over 5 million this year, and you fine him $750. If I was fined $750, I would get the message, I don't think he will mind too much. In fact, I am sure he laughed hard when he heard it.

It was also reported that USC BBall coach Tim Floyd paid 1,000 to one of OJ Mayo's handlers. Let me say this, and I don't want to sound like I am being too hard on USC, and coach Floyd, but if all he paid was 1,000 to OJ, that isn't a big deal to me at all. I would bet it took way more then that to get him to play there. There is reports he got close to 30,000 in benefits, so if Floyd only gave him a grand, sure the NCAA will have to do something, but I wouldn't throw the book at him. This gets in to a bigger problem, which would be the one and done rule. A lot of players need college, actually, almost all of them need college, since every player coming out of high school has things in their game to work on, but if a guy is going to be a lottery pick out of high school, or even a 1st rounder, then let him go. This is a free country, and we have no problem with a guy like Dirk or Parker coming over here, when they have been playing pro ball since they were like 15. So if a guy is only going to stay for one year, and then go pro, and everyone knows it, these are the things that will keep happening. Agents are more and more involved with where a kid goes, shoe companies are in players ears, and AAU coaches ears about which school to send a kid to. It is a joke. I think the rule should be change that if you want to go to the draft after high school, you can, but if you go to college you must stay at least three years. This way you have kids in college who want to be there. Not kids who basically only have to go to class for one semester, and are taking out free hand outs, and then going pro. OJ would have been a lottery pick out of high school, he was basically a pro already in high school, playing for like 7 high schools, USC was just his next stop on his pro basketball career, Something needs to be done. Because it is getting out of control. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: