Thursday, September 2, 2010

Just in Time

Football is back, for real, tonight, as a few college games kick off the 2010 season. One of those games is my alma mater CMU, who will host Hampton at 7pm. I am looking forward to taking the short drive from Alma up to Mt. Pleasant for the first game under new coach Dan Enos. I am just excited about the season. There are a lot of questions to be answered and I am just glad the season is under way and those questions will begin to be answered.

The Big Ten (12) announced their two divisions for football only starting in 2011. I have lived in Michigan since I was about 4, I'm 27 now, so I have been watching big ten sports for a long time, so I will give my thoughts on the divisions. One division has Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, MSU, Minnesota and Northwestern, and the other has OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Ill, Purdue and Indiana. Michigan and OSU being in different divisions surprise me, but they will still play ever year. Which means they could play twice a year, if both won their divisions, they would play again in the big ten title game. The game looks to be moved towards the middle of the year, instead of at the end. I think they should make it at the beginning of the year, it would be the big national game every year, start a new tradition. Nebraska is not a bad team this year and should be solid at least for years to come, but I really think Michigan's division is way easier. Iowa is good now, but just a few years ago they were not, and they are not a great tradition rich program. MSU isn't half as good at football then most of their fans think they are, but they could get to some big ten title games, if they have Ill and IU as cross over games, and not have to play OSU, PSU or Wisconsin. Traditionally I see Michigan and Nebraska as the two powers of one conference, with Iowa enjoying some success now, MSU being a 7-8 win team a year, and then Minnesota and Northwestern being towards the bottom, usually. The other division you have three very good programs, Ill and Purdue who ever so often are good, and then IU who sucks out loud. That division is strong at the top, but weak at the bottom. I am surprised by the divisions being what they are, but I guess they did want to break it up as fair as possible, I mean if you went east/west, and put Michigan, MSU, PSU, OSU, ILL and Northwestern in one, and Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minn, Iowa, Purdue and IU in the other, that wouldn't really be fair, traditionally as you would be giving Wisconsin or Nebraska a division title basically ever year, I know Iowa is good now, but I really don't see them has a strong program for years to come. It will be interesting to watch, luck will have a lot to do with it depending on who your cross over games are against and where you have to play them. To think Michigan may have to go to Nebraska, MSU and PSU and then play OSU at home, or something would be a very tough schedule for them. Of course a team like MSU will most likely get lucky, only have to play OSU ever few years, and they may get IU and Purdue in cross over games, play Nebraska at home, and have to play at Michigan, while they are still rebuilding and MSU may even get to a big ten title game, though they will not deserve it, and would get killed by OSU, as we saw a few years ago in E Lansing. It's hard to believe that I am a MSU fan, but I am. I really do like MSU, I just get tired of their fan base talking about their football program like it is some elite program. NO, your basketball program is elite, your football programs hasn't won the rose bowl since 1988. Like last year when CMU beat them and their fans before the game talked about how they are going to kill us, and it will not be within 21 points, not thinking that they had a new qb, we had a 4 year starter, who has the most touchdowns in the history of FBS, we believed we were going to win, and played like it

Anyway, it's time to shower and get ready for this game. only a few more hrs till kickoff, I can't wait, Fire up Chips. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: