Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Wife Fires Back...

A Short time ago I posted a post about my experiences with Trey Zeigler who I got to coach at Mt Pleasant High School, and who turned down UCLA, MSU, Michigan, and Duke, among others to stay home and play for his dad at CMU. Here is the link, if you want to take a look at that, or another look, if you already have read it.

http://schwandasports.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-life-with-trey.html

Well now my wonderful wife has responded, and I must say, though it mocks me, it is really really funny, and I would call it a must read.... Here it is:



Who is Trey Zeigler and why is he stealing my husband from me?


You know how every woman has that one person in their partner’s past that are a bit jealous over because of how important that person was to him? It just seems like no matter what you do, nothing will ever compare to how well -insert the little bimbo’s name here- did it? Or how about those times where you run into that same stupid bimbo out with your partner and you cringe as you watch how his face lights up and he acts like a silly school boy in her presence.

Well my situation is a little different than that one, though creepily similar.

First I need to add some background to the story. My husband loves sports. When I say love, I do not just mean that he really likes sports a lot, or that he participates in the same ritual of stuffing one hand down the pants and a beer in the other hand on game day as many men do. I do not even mean that he gets in a foul mood when his team loses, or that he owns many team jerseys and watches every game like clockwork. No, he LOVES sports, like a love that, in his words, is comparable to the love he has for me. The same “I would do anything for you” or “I can’t live without you” passion. He is obsessed. His life, in many ways, literally revolves around it. His heart feels the same kind of pain as a scorned lover when his team does poorly. In fact, his emotions are more likely to run rampant at a sporting event than ANY OTHER event in his life. What do I mean by this? Cry on his wedding day when he marries the love of his life? Nope. How about the day his daughter is born? Nah. Or when his beloved grandfather dies? Not even then. But what about when his high school lacrosse team loses their last game his senior year? BRING ON THE FLOOD GATES!

With a man like this, I have nothing to worry about when it comes to another woman: past, present, or future. But what I do have to worry about is a boy named Trey Ziegler, who has stolen the heart of my husband and has me a bit jealous.

So who is Trey Ziegler? Well to me, he is a boy who just graduated from high school, has a good family, and has some talent playing basketball. No big whoop, nothing to get your panties in a twist over, he is a kid. He also had to make a decision about where he was going to college this year (as most kids do), and after knowing he could go pretty much anywhere in this country, settled on the very prestigious, ever-exciting, located in the action-packed metropolis of Mt. Pleasant, Michigan (which is where he graduated from high school): Central Michigan University. He is one of the many, almost 4,000 other kids who made that same decision this year. Nothing special, right? Who the heck cares, this affects my life in absolutely no way whatsoever.

Well, if you ask my husband, I am very wrong. Color me stupid, because Trey Ziegler is not “just a kid who can play basketball,” he is apparently a god-like man who can dribble the ball on water and each basket he makes saves the lives of many sick children. The fact that CMU was able to score (no pun intended) such a gem like Trey is the equivalent of finding a magical leprechaun who not only grants you the one wish you always wanted but throws in a pot of gold for extra measure. Trey makes my husband feel like much more than just an assistant varsity basketball coach of a little high school in Michigan. He makes him feel like he has celebrity status because my husband was “privileged” enough to coach him and be his friend. My husband turns into a giddy school boy when talking about Trey: his eyes light up, a smile spreads across his face, and he puffs out his chest in pride. Trey Ziegler is the person that I feel I will never live up to for the simple, stupid fact that I have zero talent in sports.

So what is so darn special about that kid Trey Ziegler? Well, he plays basketball well. Quite well, I suppose. But never fear, because I have just as many, and in my opinion, more important talents, too. In fact, right now I am using my super womanly powers to grow a baby in my belly, beat that Trey!!!

I will never understand my husband’s obsession with sports and Trey, but I suppose I can just deal with it and be glad that I am sometimes important enough to be seen with him at CMU basketball games (which I also like to attend…notice I didn’t say love…basketball games and I are “just friends”). And I am glad that we have a good player like Trey on our team, even though I do believe he is just a mere mortal and won’t kiss the ground he walks on or pretend that he is some huge celebrity. But I do respect my husband’s passion and will be there cheering on the wonderful Chippewa’s this season, as I am every season…except this one will most likely include many eye rolls at my husband.

Love you, Steve.

No comments: