Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Football weekend

MSU wins again, and are now 8th in the nation, I don't know if I am ready for this. They still do have to play at Iowa and at PSU, and even though PSU is down this year that is still a tough place to play. I hope I am wrong, but I still think this team will lose a couple of games, they have a good running game and a good defense but besides beating Wisconsin at home, made to look better after Wisconsin beat OSU last week in Madison, they really haven't beaten anyone good. Michigan is once again a good offense and a terrible defense and that catches up to you, and ND is average at best, and those are their best wins. They will lose in Iowa city and at PSU, if not another game. I would love if they ran the table, but I just don't see it. It is a nice story, but I have learned too many times, just when MSU has you thinking they are a legit big ten title team, they lose.

Nice win for Wisconsin. OSU gave up that kickoff return to start the game, and just got too far down before they made their comeback, you can't do that on the road. Auburn wins again and they look to be a very good team right now. I don't see them making it though undefeated though, they still have some tough games left. Bama got back on track and they still are one of the better teams in the nation. Oregon really only have two more games they could lose that stand between them and playing for a national title. At USC and then home vs Oregon State. Oregon State is a rivalry game at the end of the year, and could go either way, and USC has nothing to play for but ruining their season, so they have nothing to lose. That game should be a shoot out, but I do think Oregon will win both and be in the national title game, who they play will be interesting

Nebraska lost their chance by loosing at home to Texas. Texas needed that win, but in Lincoln I did not see that coming at all.

Switching to the NFL the Cowboys lost again and are 1-4, I can not tell you how happy that makes me. They still have enough talent to turn it around and make the playoffs, but I hope they don't. They have two games in the next four weeks against my Giants so that could help them make up games in the division.

Speaking of my Giants they survived against the Lions, which I am so happy about, because I would never hear the end of it from all my Lions fan friends, which is basically almost all of my friends, if the Giants lost at home to the Lions. The Lions are getting better through that is for sure. They need a better offensive live and some better CB, but other then that they are a lot closer to being a good team then a bad team. They play hard and even with their 3rd string QB for more then half of the game, after Hill got hurt, they still were right there and I was worried until that final pick sealed the deal. I am happy that the Giants are starting to find themselves and look like the old Giants, who were built on good defense and a good running game. They ran the ball well and their front 4 has played very well the last three weeks.

My fantasy teams went 1-2 last week, that should have been 2-1, thanks Jeff Fisher, sure I have Chris Johnson in one league but that was the team that already won, I was playing him in another week and I was up and going to win, until a 4th down 4th quarter TD with the game well out of reach beat me. That league I had been going win/lost every other week, but now I have lost two in a row, and are 2-4, which is big since I have a lot of guys on bye weeks this coming week and would need a miracle to win again. Damn you Jeff Fisher.

Helmet to helmet hits are a big deal right now, its football, deal with it people. If it is clear the guy is leading with his head and trying to hurt a guy he should be suspended, but if he is leading with his shoulder and at the last second a guy drops his head or turns around or something, you can't expect a guy to be able to stop in mid air. The NFL already protects the QB to the point where the next step is to let them wear the red jerseys in games to, and don't get me wrong I don't want to see anyone get hurt, and not be able to walk again, but you have to be able to hit a guy if you are on defense, just don't lead with your head.

I hear baseball is still going on, I don't care, still haven't watch any of it

College basketball season is here, practice started officially on Friday, I am very much looking forward to that since I love basketball so much. NBA season starts for real next week as well. This is a great time of year.

Wings got a win in PHX on Saturday night, as they scored with just a few seconds left in OT. That was a nice win and I enjoy seeing a lot of people at homecoming at CMU, if only the team didn't lose 27-20 when they gave up a 71 yard TD on 3rd and 13 with 19 seconds left to a guy that was open by 20 yards. So frustrating. CMU fans have been spoiled for the last few years, and are getting shot down to earth this year. I still have all the faith in the world in Coach Enos and this program that they will get it turned around, but we have a long way to go. We have lost a lot of close games, and we just need to find someone who will step up and make a play. The Va Tech game was bad, and the Ball State game got ugly, but even that game we had some chances, other then that, is's a OT loss to Temple by 3, lost at Northwestern by less then a touchdown, gave up a late TD to Miami Ohio, it's tough, CMU is about 6 plays away from being 6-1, instead they are 2-5.

I am also doing some work this week on a new basketball recruiting site that I am starting. It is called All Eyes on U scouting and hopefully it will be up by the weekend. I will have the link up on here for sure, and look forward to cover basketball more. I will have a link for the blog on that as well, and the message board, so maybe we can get some message board traffic and get this going a little. As always feel free to email me at any times with any sports, or non sports, related questions you have. I'm right, you're wrong.

Steve Schwanda
schwa1sa@cmich.edu

No comments: