Sunday, April 13, 2008

Love winning or hate loosing

They talked about this a little on mike and mike the other day and it got me thinking how I am. In sports in my life I have had 3 different titles, player, coach, and fan. As a fan I absolutely love winning more then I hate loosing. Being born in New Jersey I am a livelong giant fan, when they won the super bowl I was so happy, when they loose in the playoffs, or don't even make it, I am a little upset, but I regroup and get ready for next year, as soon as the season is over, you think next year will be different, it could be our year. We will draft someone good, sign a great free agent and get back to the playoffs. As a player I hated to loose. I love winning and would enjoy it when it happened, but when we lost I took it bad, still the last time I cried was my last lacrosse game in high school when we lost 10-8 in the state finials, both of my grandfathers have died since then btw.. As a coach I am the same way, I am an assistant varsity boys basketball coach and also a head coach in AAU. When we win, I am happy, I enjoy it, but when we lose and I am miserable. I go over the game in my head for the next couple of days, things I could have done differently, and things I wish I hadn't done. I have trouble sleeping, as I lay awake wondering what I could have done, did I cost my team the game. Never once have I thought that as I fan. I think that is why being a fan is so great, you can also be the glass is half full, always looking up.. we have a bad year, that means we have a higher draft pick. I wonder if I can ever get that way as a coach. We lost but we played hard and the kids had fun, we will get better and win next time, instead of, I can't believe we did that, god that was stupid, should have used a timeout there, or called a different set play there, or changed the play I called at the end.. it will drive you crazy.. thanks, just needed to get that off my chest.. I'm right, you're wrong

No comments: