Monday, April 27, 2009

Draft recap

The NFL draft this weekend went well. Though I think I only had 6 guys right, as far as players, team, and spot, I did get a few more teams and players right, just at different spots, like Denver took Ayers but at 18, not 12, and the jets did take Sanchez, but they had to go to 5 to get him, not 8. With my picks not being great aside, I have a few quick thoughts on the draft.

- I love the Giants picks, Hicks will help right away, as will both of their 2nd round picks, I like Sintim a lot, good fit as a lb, and then Beatty is 6'6 and after providing depth for a few years, could very well be the starting LT of the future.. not bad for the end of the 2nd round. They added depth, and filled some holes, great draft

-Watching the draft with Lions fans might be the funniest thing you will ever do in your life. From pick 20 to 33, may have be the highlight. After they took the TE at 20 my friends were mad, they wanted Ray Maualuga there. But then he falls, and you can see it in their faces, hope. We can still get him. With each passing pick, the tension mounted. Text messages are going back and forth between them and our other buddy that we use to live with Phil, in Minn. Chaz is sitting on the floor waiting, hoping. Rob makes the statement that if the Lions don't take him they are stupid, Mckay says, I will think what Steelers jersey to buy if they don't. Chaz even mentioned maybe going down to the D and killing everyone. Then the pick comes, he is still on the board. It is not often in life that you get a second chance. And here the rest of the league gave the Lions that chance. We know you were 0-16, and you need a middle lb.. so, here you go guys. Then th pick comes and what happens. They take Louis Delmas. A Safety out of western Michigan. Chaz falls face down on the floor, laid out, not believing what happened. Rob almost laughs.. this is why the Lions suck. Phil sends a I hate the fucking Lions text. Another buddy of mine Greg sends a the Lions are the clippers of the NFl, what the hell are they doing, text. Just like that, hope was gone. Rob says, I know they will be back picking this high again next year. I say I just went from not minding the Lions to hating them. That of course has more to do with where delmas went to school, western Michigan, I graduated from Central Michigan, and thus, I do not like them. The day goes on, and I am happy with the Giants picks, at the start of the day, they were all telling me to shut up, don't talk about your 3 super bowl wins, this is the draft, this is the only day of the year Lions fans have to look forward to. And in a way that is true, and then each year, they are disappointed. Chaz when he finally gets up off the floor he can't speak, he then gets out. "I am not talking about it, for 7 days. I will give myself 7 days to process this, and then I will have something to say." If you ever wonder what it is like to be a fan, a true, die hard fan, of a team that sucks.. there you go.

-The Satfford pick is bad IMO because of this. You are the Lions, you know you are going to lose games, so you start 0-5, 0-6, and you got a guy that is getting 42 million guaranteed. You can say Culpepper is your qb, and you are going to play it slow with the young guy, but if he is the face of the team, and you are loosing, and you are paying him all this money, you know what will happen. After ever pick, the fans chant for stafford, after ever loss, all the talk radio and newspapers articles are about playing Stafford, everyone calls in, writes, email, has blogs about, how he should play. So what happens.. Just like Joey, you play a guy before he is ready, he doesn't do well. His confidence is dead, you have no one around him to help him succeed, and he becomes another top choice flop.... you have been warned.

-There may be one thing worse then being a Lions fan, and that is being a Raider fan. Wow, those may have been the worst 2nd round pick ever.. that is classic. Forget Heywood bay at 7, which is funny too, but Michael Mitchell, I mean, that is wonderful. Only AL Davis. Thanks for that.

-day two of the draft, brought a interesting question from another buddy of mine. Is Suzy Kulper hot. He says the voice throws him a bit. But in a wired way, she is just good looking enough. She is no Erin Andrews that is for sure.. but she isn't too bad... this is what guys talk about when they watch 20 hrs of draft coverage.

-Connor Barwin dad wearing those like short black shorts may have been the worst thing I have ever seen. When I texted Phil about it, he laughed and made a commit about how it made all fat people want to have sausage all of a sudden. Very trouble choice of what to wear being on national tv.

-No players from CMU was drafted this year, but I do think a few have a chance to be signed as free agents. I would be shocked if Andrew Hartline, a 3 times all MAC Tackle doesn't get signed. He is a friend of mine and a good guy, so I wish him well. I also think a team would be smart to give QB Brain Brunner a look in camp. I don't think he would make a team, but maybe a practice squad player. He is a very smart young man and would give you no problems. he is one of the best guys you will ever meet, if you are lucky enough to meet him, and he has a good arm. He showed his character in loosing his job by getting hurt, and then every time he was called on, when Dan L got hurt, he lead us to victory. Including beating IU, and out rival WMU, which btw, had two of its db drafted this weekend, and Brunner threw all over them. He is big, strong, good arm, and a smart kid. But if he doesn't, he is also very smart in the classroom, and is a wonderful writer, he will have no problems in life, no matter what he does.

- All in all I was very happy with the Draft, but I do feel bad for Lions fans, mainly rob, chaz, phil, mckay and any other of my good friends who watched in horror. There's always next year. I'm right, you're wrong

No comments: