Monday, April 27, 2009

End of a era

I am going to try to put this in to words the best I can, But I will be the first to admit I am not the best with that. But here it goes.

Yesterday was a sad day for me in my sports life. The Pistons got swept by the Cavs and are out of the playoffs. Breaking a streak of 6 conference finals in a row. This streak really was broken when another streak was broken. 6 years with 50 wins or more. This year of course has been a tough year for the Pistons. You start the year off 3-0, 2 with Billups then you make the trade, and one more win before AI got there, and then you have a terrible year, and get the 8th seed in the playoffs, when in the last week you could have gotten all the way up 6, and played the Magic who they have beaten all 3 times they have played this year, and have eliminated in the playoffs is seems like every year. In stead, you lose a close one to the Bulls at home, and fall all the way to 8 and play the Cavs. But that was a problem all year, loosing close games, the pistons lost several games by 6 points or less, I think it was 12 or something, they said the number during the game yesterday but I wasn't really listening, I love to listen to Hubie Brown, but can't stand Terrico. But loosing close games has to do with two things, number one, no leadership, and that starts with a rookie head coach in way over his head, and two, not having that one guy that everyone knows is getting the ball down the stench in a close game, some games it would be Iverson, some games Stuck, Rip, or Ta Ta.. In doing this, no one knows their roles, they never get use to each other and understand their roles. Ta ta, Sheed and Rip are made you trade Billups and you get the year the Pistons just had.

It is true that the Pistons wasn't going to win a title this year anyway, so then the question is, if you are going to have a rookie coach, and then trade your leader away anyway, why not blow the entire thing up. I am sure one reason was Joe D still thought with the team as is they would still be no worse then 4th in the east in the playoffs. No one could see this coming, with them getting the 8th seed. But why not wait on the trade then, see how you are doing at the all star break, if you are around the 6th seed, then make the trade, if you are around the 3rd seed, give it more one go. But again, I will say, and my brother in law gives me crap about this almost every day, but I will keep saying this, the trade was not about this year, it is about next year, and the year after, we know have over 30 million dollars coming off our cap.. and that's just two players. Walter Hermann's 2 million is also coming off, but I actually hope they resign him, cause I like him.. he actually plays hard. So time will tell, do they get a Bosh, do they trade for some more picks, I am really hoping they get Steph Curry in the draft. They have options, they still have tradeable pieces, and cap space, plus like the 15th pick in the draft. All is not lost... yet.

Quickly about this series, let me first say, the Cavs are a much better team then the Pistons right now, I know that, I am not for a minute trying to argue that, but I must say, one guy should never have more ft attempts in a series then a entire team. And where we are at in the NBA right now with the stars getting calls, Dwade, Kobe, and of course Lebron getting the most, almost makes the game unwatchable. I mean could you imagine how many point Jordan would score in his prime if he played in the NBA with today's rules. Teams were so physical with him and did things to him then, that may not have even been called fouls, that now you would get ejected for. Every time Lebron goes to the basket they call a foul, wheat er he gets fouled or not, and of course, sometimes he does, but game 3 was close in the 4th and 6 trips in a row the Cavs got an and one, the Pistons didn't draw one foul on the Cavs. Lebron is a freak, he is 6'8, like 245 of pure muscle, and fast, he doesn't need any help, he just runs over guys, and gets fouls called on them. Again, he is too good, he doesn't need any more help, if you look at him wrong, it shouldn't be a foul. Again, in saying this, yes I know the Cavs are the better team, and I give them credit, and any TRUE fan in Cleveland who has been though a lot of losing between the Cavs, Browns and Indiana's I do feel happy for them, because I have been on both sides of it, and I think it is important as a true fan to respect the tough time other true fans go though in their sports cheering life in supporting the schools and teams that they do. So as much as it hurt to watch these last 4 games, I have been on that side of it too, and I know how good it feels. A true fan, doesn't leave during the bad times.

In saying that, I can see both sides of the issue with the Pistons fans and their attendance at these last two games. It was even reported the Pistons sent out emails to Cavs season ticket holders to try to sell seats, as low as 12. There was a time where it was very very hard to get Pistons tickets, and for Playoff tickets, you would have to spend at least 50 bucks, and now they are trying to give them to the other teams fans for under 15. In one way, I say same on the Pistons fans who didn't want to go and still support their team. Note: I would have gone if it wasn't for a AAU tournament that I was coaching in, and Friday night my wife had to go to a work party, and thus I had to watch Hailey. In the other side of the argument, I would say, I don't blame any Piston fan who didn't want to go to the game, because why support a team that has given up. Not that you stop being a fan for good, but if the players have given up on the season, and are making tee times, and vacation plains why should the fans pay money to watch them not play hard. That was the thing I liked about Bynum, herrmann, Max, Amir, and even Kwame, is they still at least played hard when they were in. As for the Pistons trying to sell those tickets to Cavs fans and making the Palace the Q north, I don't have a problem with that, because in the end, it is still a business, and you need to make money, and you don't do that, if no one is there.

Another thing that makes yesterday's last game sad, and especially for me was that it is without a doubt the last game for Sheed as a Piston. I love Sheed, though he does make me upset a lot, because he could dominate if he wanted to play hard, and post, he is almost unstoppable, instead, he doesn't get past the 3 point line on most times down the floor, and he rarely plays hard, somehow I still love him. I have 6 Sheed jerseys that soon will need to go in to retirement and I will need to get a new Piston to be my favorite and get their jersey. Note: If they draft Curry it is already over, I will have a Curry jersey before he plays a game for the Pistons.

It was a nice run, 6 conference finals in a row, 2 NBA finals, and one title, though you could be down and say they should have gotten to more finals and maybe even won another title, that is still a great run for your favorite NBA team. What made it better for me, was when it happened. For the most part the entire run happened while I was in college, of legal drinking age. So the Pistons gave me a excuse, like college kids need one, to go out to a lot of bars, actually using just one, O Kelly's, with a lot of my friends, and watch a lot of playoff games, and drink a lot of beers, and do a lot of shots, and have a great time. The best time for your team to be good is your college years, just because of the natural social aspect. What other time in your life, are you able to get to a sports bar at 3pm, for a 8pm game, just to make sure you get a booth, and drink and have fun with your friends, and stay till 2am. It was a great time, and I would not trade it for the world. From doing shots for the first 3 of each half, to Potter riding the pony around the bar during 4th quarter points. To we are the champions playing and everyone celebrating dancing on tables, it was great moments that I am happy to be a part of. Those moments are better, when you go through the tough times before and after them. And even though there were a lot of losses, a lot of times leaving the bar upset because we gave a game away, or like in 06 when Lebron would dunk on our entire team, it was a great 6 years. For that, I thank the Pistons, I thank them for 6 great years, and a lifetime of memories, with great friends, some good food, and some cold drinks. We all should be so lucky.

Now, I look forward to the NBA draft, and what the Pistons will do in the off season, and what moves they are going to make so they can start another run. One era is indeed ending with the Pistons, but another will soon begin. Go Pistons, I will always be a fan. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: