Monday, July 26, 2010

A up and down week

What a week! On Monday me and my much better half found out that the baby in her belly is a boy! Which makes me very very happy. Growing up I always wanted two kids, one of each, and come November 29th, if not before, I will have just that. Now it's just time to think of a good name. I am just so lucky that I am going to have a little boy, I'm so pumped, someone to carry on the name, as well as someone to teach sports to, not that I will not teach my daughter sports cause I will, but you know, it's different with a boy. I mean my daughter isn't even 3 yet and already likes to wear dresses all the time, and put on, as she says, make-up, and paint her nails and toes. So I am very happy about having a boy to all set that, you can only go to so many tea parties before you want to throw the ball around.

On Wednesday I left for Ft Wayne, IN for AYBT Nationals. My team has had a tough time at AAU tournaments since they are young and not use to the pressure and speed of the game, but I was hoping that this AYBT tournament would be different, sadly, it wasn't. The first two days we were 0-4 and lost those games by a combined 95 points. The 3rd day was better as we lost by 3, in a game that we should have won, and as I coach I could have done some things differently, but the players still didn't execute when the game was on the line, and then in the next game down 47-27 with just over 6 minutes left, in a game where the clock only stops the last two minutes my team went on a 21-5 run to lose by 4. 52-48. I was so proud of the way they fought hard and kept playing. That is the reason why you coach, to see your team get better, to see them learn something about themselves, to take something away for the rest of their life. It is all about pride and effort. I just wish we could have won a game, because those kids deserved it, and only winning two games all year it tough for 14-15 year old boys.

Meanwhile the Tigers have been though a lot. First they lose their first 6 after the all star break, then they start to play better, then Inge, Mags and Carlos all get hurt and are out for sometime, 6-8 weeks for Inge and Mags, Carlos at least a few weeks. The Tigers now field a lineup that wouldn't make most double A pitchers nervous, besides Manny Jr, but why pitch to him.. though I hope teams still do. In saying all of this they are still only two games back, so they still have a chance, it just isn't very big. They start a series with the Rays tonight, so we shall see where they stand. It would be great if they can make a move before the trade "deadline" but it isn't worth giving up on the future for a run this year, that still may not lead to the playoffs. They actually have a good young team, and some nice pieces where I think they will at least be contenders in the division for the next 5 years at least.

NFL season is coming soon, Dez Bryant needs to get over himself and carry a bag. Man I hate the cowboys.

College football is coming soon as well, I am very excited for that. There is really nothing like College football when it comes to fans, tradition, bans, tailgating, alumni, rivals, it just is great. My alma mater, CMU, is rebuilding a bit with a new coach, new qb, and their best two WR, among others, gone, but they still have some talent, and I like Coach Enos and think they can still have a good season, and get to another bowl game, and contend for the MAC title.

Construction is also coming along on our new events center for our inside sports, among other things. It will open December 1st against Temple, which should be a fun game. There is a lot of great things happening around CMU right now, and it is a great time to be a Chippewa.

I'm right, you're wrong
contact me at: schwa1sa@cmich.edu or sman1720@yahoo.com- any questions will be answered in a mail bag.. which I love to do, so send those questions.

No comments: