Friday, July 2, 2010

USA, Tigers, and the NBA draft/Free agents

Was out of town last weekend, then worked a basketball camp and now about to leave again, but I need to do a quick write up.

US Soccer let a big chance slip away in loosing to Ghana. I don't know what Coach Bradley was thinking, but why take out players who were playing well. It's a elimination game, start your best 11. The team played hard the entire tournament and can be proud of that, but I think a quarter final, if not semi final run, and with Brazil loosing today, maybe longer, should have happened. I do like some of the young players on the team though. They make the games fun that is for sure.

The Tigers were in first place for a day, winning the first of three with the Twins before loosing the next two. The White Sox also have gotten hot and are now right there in the mix as well. They have too much talent not to be, so those 3 teams will be there till the end. I give the edge to the White Sox right now, actually, who I picked to win the Central at the start of the year. My boy Zumaya being hurt really hurts, for one thing another injury for him is just bad luck and is going to be tough to keep coming back from, maybe he shouldn't throw every pitch over 100mph, and two, it really will hurt the Tigers not having a guy like that to come out of the bullpen in the 6th, 7th and 8th innings during the late summer division race.

NBA free agent circus is under way. So far no big names have been signed, except it was reported Paul P is staying in Boston. Other then that it has just been guys like Amir Johnson, Drew Gooden and yes, Darko getting big money contracts for basically doing nothing to deserve them. The NBA, where over paying anyone over 6'10 happens. I really don't care about who meets with who, and all this crap, I just want to know where people are going to sign, all the other stuff is just to fill time, and air space. Joe Johnson getting basically 20 mil a year from the Hawks is a steal, how do you not take that deal, he almost shouldn't just because he knows he doesn't deserve it, go somewhere else for half that, and even then you are getting paid well. He is a good scorer, but if he is your best player you are a lottery to first round sweep playoff team at best.

The NBA draft was ok, with a few surprises. Ken had 5 guys go in the first round, yet couldn't make it to the final four. Calaperi is not high on my list of people in this world. I am happy with the Pistons getting Monroe I didn't think he would be there at 7, so I was happy about that. Their second pick, Terrico White does nothing for me at all. Have a fun and safe July 4th weekend. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: