Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Not so normal Monday

With nothing but baseball yesterday I was thinking it would be a slow sports day, and there would not be anything to talk about. Man was I wrong. So I will just quickly write about each thing that happened then I think is worth mentioning.


Strahan retires- the official news conferences is happening like right now, but it was reported last night, so that counts for Monday's news. He was a great player who helped my team win a super bowl, and for that I will always be greatful for him. He also is the player that I get mocked about the most due to his sack record and how the last sack on Farve looked. OK fine, Farve fell on a play that Strahan wasn't blocked on, and he landed on top of him, fine. But that was still a great season, and he had a great career, one that I think will land him in the hall of fame. Maybe not first ballot, with farve, sapp, odgen, and most likely Larry Allan all being able to go in in 5 years, but depending on how it works out, he could, but he is a hall of famier, and he got to go out the right one, on top as a super bowl champ

Hasek retires- staying with guys hanging it up. Hasek had a great career no question about that and won everything you can win, but I was never a fan. In fact I will say he is a little over ratted. He had terrible fundamentals and would give up goals that a classic butterfly goalie would not. It is true he also would save some that others would not with his snow angle in the crease style, but I never liked him, and he always rubbed me the wrong way. But he did have a great career, and he also goes out a champion, even though he was bench in the playoffs

Benson is waved- I think we all saw this coming. Maybe not after the boat thing, which he still says he did nothing wrong, but as soon as you heard his name again, even if he wasn't over the legal limit and ends up facing no jail time, it just isn't smart and you knew he would be gone. First of all, he isn't that good to begin with, the bears should have never traded Thomas Jones, but they did, and now with Benson gone, they are going to have to take a look at some other options. Garrett Wolf, MAC love, and the other A. Peterson will not get it done. They may look to Kevin Jones, or S. Alexander, or maybe they can pick up L Jordan. As for Benson, he needs to hope someone wants to take a shot at him, and he needs to get someone to drive for him. Just be smart, if I had money, and I knew I was going to drink I would have someone to drive me home, hell, I would have someone drive me always.

Vinny Del Negro takes the Bulls job- Don't know about this one. I don't understand in the NBA why do ex players with no coaching experience get jobs over guys who have coached their entire life and worked their way up. Just because someone played basketball at a high level does not mean they can coach. There are many many examples of ex players who turned out to be terrible coaches, one of whom, Magic Johnson, was almost as bad of a coach as he was a great player. Now yes there are also a lot of former players that turn out to be good coaches, but as a person who loves basketball, never played at a high level, not even in high school, but coaches AAU and High School and wants to be a college coach someday, it really worries me that all these ex players are getting so many jobs. Since I am sure a college would hire one of their ex players to their staff long before they hire me, and I don't think that's right, not just because I am the one who wants the job, but because I have studied film went to coaching clinics, watched practices and worked to try to become the best coach I can, and will continue to do all those things, and I feel that makes me more qualified to coach then an ex player. They could beat me at one on one, but does that mean they can teach the game better, I don't think so.. Anyway, short tangent, sorry, We will see if it is a good hire for the Bulls. I do think this raps up D Rose as the first pick. Del Negro was a guard and I see him wanting to play a much more uptempo style of play that Rose would be perfect in. He has been the assistant GM of the suns the last few years, so I think it makes sense. Draft Rose and run and gun.

Curry named Pistons coach- This isn't news to be, since as soon as flip got fired it was reported Curry would get the job. I don't know if he will do any better then flip, in fact, he might end up doing worse, I am just happy cause it is someone new and it gives up Piston fans hope.

T.O.- big deal, missed a drug test, he has never been testes positive this is not a issue, I just added it to make sure people know how stupid it is that this is news.

Moving on game 3 tonight. I see the Lakers bouncing back and winning tonight. I have been right so far, so lets see if it will continue. I think Kobe will have a better game, and I think Phil has seen enough and will put Kobe on PP. The Lakers have played great at home in the playoffs and I think tonight they will continue to do so, Lakers win by 12. Tonight I will be home alone, since my finance works the over night at her job, so that means I actually will watch the entire game, unless it gets really bad. I will be clicking back and forth as the tigers are playing the white sox, but there will be a beer in my hand and hopefully a smile on my face as I watch some good sports tonight. I'm right, you're wrong

3 comments:

sman said...

I forget to mention Arenas option out, mainly cause that isn't news yet. If him and Jaminson are back and they both sign big deals good for the wiz, if they are both gone, wiz are a lottery team for awhile, and where they end up could shake the leauge up a bit

Potta14 said...

Arenas comment

what if both him and jamison dont resign, jamison signs with the Pistons, Gilbert heads out to LA (either team) and then the Pistons send Sheed, Hermann and their 1st round pick to Washington for their 1st and a future second?

sman said...

Oh I would hate to loose walter.. But having jaminson would be nice, plus the wiz would no longer be a team to worry about, cause they would be lottery city