Thursday, June 5, 2008

to watch or not to watch

As a Pistons fan for the last 6 days I have been going back and forth in my mind, will I watch the NBA finals or not. At first, I was not going to watch, it was just too painful. Then I regrouped and thought, hell, I love basketball, I am a big basketball fan, not just a Piston fan, and if there is going to be a good basketball game on, then I want to watch it. Then on Tuesday ESPN did something that almost made me hate them and not turn them back on for life. They played game 6 of the 1987 NBA finals. Now don't get me wrong, I love watching classic NBA basketball, especially from the 80's, I mean to see all those great players on the court at the same time, is great. But to show a game that happened 21 years ago on prime time on ESPN, not 2 or classic, is a little too far. The worst part, they kept going to the studio and having Tim Lengler, I think, break it down, like adjustments that should be made, who is playing well, what both teams need to do. Did I mention this game was 21 fucking years ago. Who doesn't know who won. If you didn't know the Lakers won this game, and easily by the way, then you should not be watching it. I mean they even used, back to the game, lets see if the Lakers can hold on... I mean come on. I then calmed back down, and today I just can't help myself, I am going to watch the game tonight. I mean I have to. It is the NBA finals. I want to see what will happen. Will Kobe get it done without Shaq, or can KG finally win a title, now that he has better then a bad JV team around him. I don't know if I will watch the entire series, but I will be watching game one.. If it is anything like the series in the 80's I might not watch it for long. Most people forget this, but it isn't like there were 7 games series with 7 close games, there were some big blow outs, some over 30 points. Which brings me to another point, unless you are a Celtic or Laker fan, why would you care more about this series then any other. Cause after this year, they will have 31 of the 62 titles. Wouldn't that make you sick of them? Or is it because all the media does it talk about how great the rivalry is, WAS BTW, and it was only a good rivalry cause the teams actually hated each other, and so did the fans, it was the rich west cost vs the blue collar east cost. The Celtics and the Lakers have no rivalry right now. The Celtics have not been to a finals in 21 years, and none of the players hate each other, in fact, kobe and Kg are good friends, and get along great. Anyway, that is another topic all together I guess, how the media treats teams differently that effects the way the nation sees them. So maybe that will be for another time. Right now I will be watching game one, and hoping for a great series.

On another note the Wings won the cup last night, I am not a big hockey guy, and I am not going to pretend like I am a wings fan, but a lot of my friends are, so I am happy for them, and also playoff hockey is great, that is really all I have to say... on to the NBA finals.. again, Celtics in 6, winning tonight, game 2, 4, and 6. I'm right, you're wrong

No comments: