Tuesday, June 3, 2008

ok, lets look at it

As I typed about a hour or so ago, flip has been fired as the coach of the pistons, and I am happy about that. To some people this might seem odd. I bet most fans would love if a coach for their team went 176-70 in 3 years and got to the conference finals in all three years. But that isn't good enough for us, right now. In sports these days you have a very small window in which a team that you have put together can be successful as is. This window is quickly closing for the pistons, and getting to the conference finals just is not good enough. Especially when we feel we had the better overall team on paper. Now was is all flip's fault, of course not, and you know, it might not make a difference at all, but it is a lot easier to fire a coach then get 12 new players, and at least this way it gives us hope again. We have a fresh start. From reports I have read thus far, it looks like Michael Curry and Terry Porter are two leading candidates, both are current assistants, which I am not sure about, but at least they know how it works here, they know that winning 50 games and getting to the playoffs every year is not good enough for this team right now, so I would be fine with either one of them. The other name in the article was Avery Johnson, now even through I do think he is a good coach, and has a great record, what else does he have, being up 2-0 in the finals and loosing 4 in a row, and winning 67 games and then loosing in the first round. Which is basically everything we don't want, and everything we just got ride of. Flip is not a bad coach, if he wants too, I feel he will have no trouble getting a job, but his time ran out here, 3 years and no NBA finals appearances, when the coach before you was here for two years, and got to the finials both years, winning one. Hopefully the new coach, who ever he may be, be it curry or porter will be what the teams needs to refocus and win a title next year, or at least make it to the finals. There is no question the Celtics just wanted it more, we had a 8 point lead going in to the 4th at home, in a game we needed to win to continue our season, and we got outscored by 16 in the 4th. The Celtics are a good team, and deserve a little credit for that, but a lot of that is on the pistons, so a change was needed, and I am glad it was made.

The question is will it be the last change. I am thinking no. I would like the team to stay in tact for the most part and give it a run with a new coach, but sheed only has one year left which does make his contract easier to move, so he might be gone. I love him, and will miss him a lot if he goes, but as I wrote before, I am a piston fan first, and I must support what is best for the team. I would love somehow to get josh smith, if we could work that out, that would be great. We shall wait and see what happens the rest of the year.

Real quick, two other things, one, I am not a big hockey guy and I will not pretend to be a red wings fan just cause they are one win away from the cup, I hope they win due to so many of my friends liking them, but I really don't care one way or another. But last night, reminded me how much I love playoff hockey. Hockey might not be one of my favorite sports, but playoff hockey is. It is wondering, there is nothing better then OT hockey in the playoffs, especially in the finals. What a great game, Flury played the game of his life, 55 saves, un real. We will see how much they have left now as they go back to Pitt for game 6 tomorrow. But I am looking forward to it. And another thing, I have no problem saying this, I like college softball. Yeah that's right, I have really enjoyed the college softball world series, which could be over tonight if asu wins, but I am kind of rooting for A&M to win it and force a 3rd game tomorrow night. I like college softball much more then college baseball, I really do, I find it to be a very entertaining sport. Maybe it's just me, but I like it. I'm right, you're wrong

No comments: