Saturday, January 10, 2009

Maybe I am alone on this

I was going to write this right after the pistons game last night, but I believe in the 24 hr rule, and now that I have had time to cool down, I can better make my point without going off, on second thought, maybe not. Here's what happened, the Pistons did need up beating the Enver by 3, which is great, Billups had 30 and AI had 23, I think, against their old teams. But this is the part I need to go off about. Up 3 with like 12 seconds left. I know the thought process, if you are up 3, don't let them get a shot off to tie the game, foul them and then they need to try to miss the second, and all that good stuff, but that only works under 5, or IMO 3 seconds. The Pistons fouled so early, the Nuggets were able to make them both, make it a one point game, foul AA, who had to make two free throws, again, after just making two right before that, then AI tries to foul again, but JR Smith is on the run, and throws up a shot, NBA continuation, and he gets 3 shots, luckily he missed the first, made the second two, back to a one point game again, then AA has to make two more free throws to get the lead back to 3, with 3.4 seconds left and Billups takes a contested 3 pointer from just inside half court that misses and the Pistons win. Of course the good news is, they won the game, but why make it so hard on your self. You had to make 4 more free throws then you would have had to, and defend them twice more while they have a chance to tie. If there is 4 seconds left, and you are up 3, and a guy gets the ball with his back turned, or not looking to shoot, sure foul him before he can get a shot up, or give it to a guy who is going to, but with that much time left, why not just have the confidence in your defense that you can get ONE spot and not give up a 3, instead of having to make 4 more free throws and get TWO more spots, which would bring your total to 3, instead of just one, if you just played straight up with 12 seconds left, guarding the 3 point line tight. It just drives me crazy. That is what you want as the team loosing, spread out the game, so there is more time for a free throw to be missed, or a big shot to be made, why give a team 3 chances if you are wining, when they should only have one. I just hate it.

But I was in a good mood since for the first time Mt Pleasant, where I coach, beat Flint Southwestern, 69-66, by hitting a 3 pointer at the buzzer. It was a sweet game, and I am so proud of my players for how hard they played and battled a team that was bigger, stronger, and more athletic then them. It was a great win for us, hopefully we can keep it going, and it will just be the beginning, not the end of our big wins this season.

The first playoff game is done,and I was right about the point spread, Ravens by 3, but I gave the offensives too much credit, I said 17-14, and it was 13-10, sorry, my bad. Now I am off to watch the Cards and Panters. I just needed to get that whole fouling up 3 thing off my chest. Tomorrow is such a big deal, Giants, CMU vs western, and 24 starts. Plus Tuesday mourning I leave for Hawaii to get married. Should be a great week. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: