Saturday, January 31, 2009

NBA mid season report

We are past the half way point in games, but I thought now would be a good time to look at my preseason picks and see how I am doing. I will admit I have not followed the NBA as closely has I have in the past, I follow college, and even Michigan High School ball more, but I still love my Pistons, and I would still watch a NBA game over a lot of other things... so here we go.... lets first look at my playoff and all star picks in the preseason... I copied and pasted, but if you want to look back at the original, you can.

East:

1) Pistons
8) Hawks
4) Heat
5) Magic
3) Cavs
6) 76ers
2) Celtics
7) Raptors

1) Pistons
4) Heat
3) Cavs
2) Celtics

1) Pistons
2) Celtics

1) Pistons

All Stars:
D wade
M Redd
Lebron
KG
Dwight Howard
Billups
Brand
Jaminson
Josh Smith
A.I. 2.0
C.W. Bosh
P.P.

Now in the east, I have 4 of the 5 all star starters.. can blame me for AI, since he wasn't in the east at the start of the year, as far as the bench, Billups, made the west team, then Bosh and PP made the team, Jaminson, AI 2.0 and Brand did not have good first halfs, and Josh Smith was hurt, and some other guys, Granger, played well, so he wasn't an all star. For the playoffs.. just looking at teams, I have 7 of the 8, and the raptors or 3 games out of the 8th spot. I also said I like the Bucks as my sleeper team, and I wanted to put them as the 8th seed, but changed my mind... but now that Redd is done for the year, they should fall off. I didn't get one seed right.. but at least I got the teams right.


West:

1) Lakers
8) Mavs
4) Jazz
5) Rockets
3) Horents
6) Suns
2) Spurs
7) Blazers

1) Lakers
5) Rockets
3) Horents
7) Blazers

5) Rockets
3) Horents

3) Horents

All Stars:
CP3
Kobe
T Mac- The yao voting factor
A Stodimire
Yao
D Williams
S Nash
Duncan
B Roy
Melo
Boozer
Dirk


In the west I also had 4 of 5 all star starters, the Yao T mac voting factor failed me, injuries.... duncan, roy and dirk all made the team, however, nash, d wills, melo and boozer all did not. For the playoffs I also have 7 of the 8 teams. The team I don't have, denver, again, is much different then they were at the start of the year, I didn't see that trade coming. As far as seeds, the lakers are one, and the spurs are two, as I predicted, and then for the most part the other 5 are only off a spot or two. The team that I had making the playoffs who are not there, the Jazz are a game and a half back.. so they are ok.

Overall this has been a odd first half, with the Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, and Magic all really jumping out quick and having some great records, and they are all starting to run away in their division. The second half should be fun, as if the Jazz get healthy I think they will make the playoffs, and I think the Mavs will be the team to fall out. In the east, my Pistons can start playing anytime now, that would be great. They play the Cavs tomorrow, who we have already beaten once, so we will see what happens. On national TV, something tells me Lebron might want to make a statement... this might get ugly. Of course maybe the Pistons want to show, we are not going any where, and even if we are the 4th or 5th seed, the eastern conference champs still have to go though us. Should be a good game. It is the game I am looking forward to tomorrow.


Switching to college basketball for a second if I can, which I can, cause it's my blog, it has been another crazy week. Wake beats Duke at the buzzer, then looses to uga tech at the buzzer, that was uga tech's first ACC win btw, they are now 1-6. Gonzaga beat St Mary's, and Pat Mills, you had to leave the game in the first, I think it is reported he broke his hand, if that is true, and he is out for awhile, or just isn't 100%, we shall see how they play. he is the real deal, and no team would be better off without him. In women's college basketball, which I know a lot of you may not care about, but on Monday Pat Summit is going for her 1,000 win, yeah 1,000. I don't care, that is impressive, and she is without a doubt one of the best college basketball coaches, and really just one of the best coaches period, of all time, any sport, any level, any gender. It will be tough, against number two ranked OK, but if it doesn't happen then, it will soon after.

Super bowl tomorrow.. I will make my official pick Steelers 24 Cards 14.. but I am hoping for Cards 31 Steelers 28. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: