Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Super Tuesday

Usually super Tuesday takes place during college basketball season, but tonight, we have our own June version. Both the NHL and NBA finals have games, plus a full schedule of MLB games. Baseball is regular season, so that takes a back seat, but both finals are worth watching.

If the Wings win, which I have picked them to do 4-2 they win the cup for the second year in a row, and for the second year in a row, win in Pittsburgh on game 6. Even if the Pens do win, I would feel very good about the Wings chances coming home for a game 7. But again I do think the Wings will win tonight, they just have too many weapons. They do it the right way, they draft well, and then they don't rush their guys up, because they don't have to, so they always have a nice mix of veteran leaders and new fresh legs, who are hungry for their chance.

For the NBA, if the Magic lose tonight it is all but over. With the Lakers already being up 2-0. I really feel the only way for the Magic to have any chance at wining the title is to win all 3 home games. That hasn't happened much. I know the 04 Pistons did it, and I think only one or two other teams have done it, since they went to the 2-3-2 format. Usually the road team wins that middle game. If that happens here, we will go back to LA with the Lakers up 3-2 and they will close out in 6. I actually don't think they will get that far. I am giving the Magic one win, not two. I will admit to being wrong about the Magic, they have surprised me with how well they played in the playoffs, and I didn't think they would be anywhere close to the finals. Match ups are just very important in basketball and then have had some good ones. Now they don't. Odom and Ariza has the size to stay with Hedo and Lewis, and the Lakers have enough bodies to throw at Dwight plus having a step out player like Gasol that Dwight can't really stop either. Plus they have Kobe, who still is the best player overall in the NBA. Lebron is really close, but I am not changing my mind... yet. Kobe still has it.

So go to a sports bar, or find your favorite chair, open up a cold Miller Light, the unofficial sponsor of the schwandasports blog.. I'm still waiting for my money, and enjoy what is sure to be a great night of sports watching. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: