Saturday, June 19, 2010

RIP Manute Bol

A little after 9am this morning I got a text that ex NBA player Manute Bol has passed away at the age of 47. I found this out before it was reported by everyone else because I was lucky enough to meet him several times and know him pretty well. One of my best friends parents adopted two Sudan children who happened to be related to Manute, and he came to their house a few times, and even was at my friends rehearsal dinner for his wedding. We talked a few times about me going to Africa and doing a basketball camp for the Sudan people, and that is still something I hope I can do, maybe now I can do it in his honor and memory.

He was a great man who did so much for his home land donating so much of his time and money. It is sad that he had health problems which started with a bad car accident a few years ago, that made him walk with a cane, and also deform his hand, and then kidney problems and poor medical attention in Africa making it worse. My thoughts and prayers are with all of his friends and family today, especially James and Myum, his two cousins who were adopted by my second family, and basically are part of mine. We should all try to treat people as well as Manute did. RIP Manute.

No comments: