Thursday, August 21, 2008

A problem or two

So today back to back I watched the US Women's softball teams and soccer teams go for the gold medal. I know a lot of people don't care about either sport, or team, but both teams are very good, two great chances for medals for the US, one, softball would have been considered all but a lock, 22 wins in a row in the Olympics, and has won ever gold medal. And I happen to actually like softball, I enjoy watching it. Soccer is a game I played for many many years, and I love soccer, and enjoy watching women's soccer just as much as men's. The soccer team had a great game, and a big win against Brazil 1-0 to win the gold, which was sweet, it was a very good game, really I thought Brazil controlled the game for much of it, but the US did what they had to do, hope solo was great in goal, and then had one great shot that found the back of the net. In softball the US feel to Japan 3-1. Now here is my only problem with this, they beat them yesterday in the semi's. I will try to explain, they beat Japan, thus Japan went on to a game where the looser got third and the winning went to the gold medal game. If that makes sense to you, please explain it to me. If japan then wins, which they did in extra innings, and then the next day they beat the Americans, wouldn't it make sense that each team has beaten the other once, each has one loss, they should play again, nope, Japan gets the gold medal. That is so messed up, either make it single elimination or double, how can it be single for one team, and double for another, when it comes to the semi's. Most people would think, the winners of the semi's play for the gold, the looser the bronze. But I guess somehow, there was a semi with US and Japan, and then the looser had one more game to get back in to the gold medal game, and the winner was there. That is messed up, and it is too bad. While I am on the subject of things in the Olympics that need to change. One, baseball and softball have to be back, with some of the stupid sports that no one watches or knows how to play is in the Olympics, softball and baseball have to be. Second, in sports with judges there needs to be more clear rules. I mean why take away the perfect ten, the thing that basically is gymnastics, and have this messed up start value, and execution scale, with throwing out the best and the worst, then the next 4 for tie breakers, and then if it still is tied, take the next lowest. How can two people get the same score, and it comes down to what their 3 lowest score was. And how can judges look at the same thing and won get a 9.1 and another get a 8.7. That is the biggest problem with gymnastics is people who don't really know a lot about it, which I will admit is me, watch it for the Olympics, or go to one of their fans meets in college or something, and see two routines that look almost the same, both are good, and one gets a mark so much higher then the other. I know there are certain things the judges look for and stuff, but in basketball, one ref doesn't see a two, while another one See's a three, or in baseball one ump doesn't call a strike, and then we go to the other umps to see if they agree, in football one ref doesn't call a hold while the other calls a face mask, and they just cancel out. It is messed up. I don't like scores in the 15's and 16's in Gymnastics, sure take the difficulty in to account. But the highest score should always be a perfect 10, and then go down from there, what was so hard about that. I do think that is what makes certain sports hard to follow, when no one knows why someone got a certain score and why someone else got another...

OK, I am done with that random tangent. Oh, one other thing Usain Bolt is a machine, I mean the guy is unreal. I loved Walter Dix reaction when they told him about the two DQ and instead of 5th he actually got the bronze medal. He didn't even smile, and just said.. who cares, I still lost. That was priceless. It shows how hard some of these guys/girls work, and how much they train for one thing, winning the gold, no true athlete, who is a competitor dreams about getting second or third. Having said that, it is still a great accomplishment and I think if he won it, instead of being given it, he may have felt a little different, but I just loved that reaction. One other quick thing.. college football starts in a week.. I am pumped. I'm right, you're wrong

No comments: