Monday, August 18, 2008

you know you are popular when.....

so Saturday night was big night, Phelps was going for his record setting gold medal in one Olympics in the 4 by 100 IM relay. I happened to be in Brighton for a pub crawl for one of my buddies who is getting married in oct, but anyway. So we are going to bar to bar, drinking a few at each and moving on. But one thing I had to make clear when the time of 10:55pm was approaching... WE ARE STAYING HERE UNTIL AFTER PHELPS SWIMS. Everyone agreed and planed accordingly. So the time has come, the place it packed, everyone surrounding one of the 15 or 20 tv's that was in the place.. I had to stand up, and be ready to go, I knew I wasn't going to be able to sit the whole time, I needed room to go nuts. But right as the race stared I looked outside, towards the glass windows that are all around the bar, and what do I see? Literally 10-20 kids, who must have been under 21, and thus couldn't get in to that bar, standing outside, looking in, watching the race on one of the tv's in the bar. That is when you know you are popular, when you know the entire country is following you. When at 11pm on a Saturday night, people who can't get in to a bar, and standing outside watching it through the window. Wanting to see, wanting to be part of history... What a race it was, another gold, another world record. Amazing. A night I will never forget. We broke in to a USA chant, and then the DJ played the only song you could play at that moment and that of course was, we are the champions by queen. After singing loud during the entire song, we moved on. But for one night at least, and really for the last week and a half a swimming, that most people couldn't tell you his name two weeks ago, was the most popular person in the nation at 11pm on a Saturday at a bar in Brighton, Michigan. That is why sports is great, that is the true spirit of the Olympics and competition. One on one, you swim, or run, or jump as fast, or far or as high as you can, and I will do the same, and we will see who wins. If you haven't enjoyed the Olympics so far, you do not like sports. I also have a small crush on Shawn Johnson, and I feel bad all she did was win slivers the entire time.. I also know she is 4'9 and like 16, but she is so cute. anyway.. US basketball keeps kicking butt, and even though they will most likely have to play both Argentina and Spain again to win the gold, I now think there is no chance they will not do it. They are starting to shoot the ball better, and most important they play good defense, and they have a chip on their shoulder, and when players that talented buy in to playing defense, it is hard to beat them. Coach K deserves a lot of credit for the coaching job he is doing, and the players deserve credit for checking the egos at the door, and working hard. I see gold for both the men's and women's basketball teams easy. I also like the women's soccer teams chances in the gold medal game against Brazil. They have revenge on their mind, and I think they can do it.. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: