Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Why

I never liked baseball. I never played it, never watched it. IN fact, I guess you could say I hated it. Thought it was boring, slow, and just a waste of time. It was a sport that wusses played during my lacrosse season. Then I went to college, and basically all of the people I have lived with since, except of course now cause I am living with my fiance, loved baseball. They played it in High School, some were good enough, or so they say, to play in college at a D2 school, and walked on to cmu, but didn't make it.. cause, you guessed it, the coach didn't like them. Anyway, so being around lots of people all the time who watched, played, and talked about baseball, I slowly was broken down. I started to follow it a little. I got a few players and teams to follow, The Tigers in the Al of course, and then the Cubs in the Nl. I went to my first game my jr year of college, which would have been the late summer early fall of 2003. I went to Wrigley for a cubs-reds game, and I was hooked. D lee hit a grand slam and became my favorite player not on the Tigers, and reminds so today. it is just a great place, it is hard to be there and not like it. I then started to go to two or three Tigers games a year, and I have become more and more of a fan.

Games like last night make me wonder why I ever did. In a game that took a little more then 5 hrs I watched the team that I know live and die with for 162 games during the year go up 2-0 in the first. Have the white sox score a run. Then go up 6-1 in the 5th, and then it all went terribly wrong. The sox scored one in the 6th, two in the 7th, one in the 8th and 9th to tie the score at 6. After awhile I just want the game to be over, since with my 8 month old I wake up usually before 7am every day. I kept trying to get myself to go to bed, but I know I couldn't sleep, or live with myself if I went to bed before the game ended. Then finally in the top of the 14th a two run homer by Poly, Tigers up 8-6, yes, we are going to do this. The Twins lost, and we could be only 5.5 back on both of them. My Tiger Joel Zumaya is coming in to close, I can get fantasy points with some strike outs, and get the close. Not to mention a BIG Tigers win to start a big 3 game set. Then I started getting mad. With runners on 2nd and 3rd a ground ball should have been the second out but Edger kicked it for a E6, everyone safe, it's now 8-7 with jim thome up and now still only one out, and runners on the corners. Zum zum comes though, and strikes him out, two outs now, and it is up to swisher who came in in like the 10th or 11th or something. He takes a pitch low, and goes down and gets it, for a 3 run walk off HR to win the game 10-8. I was so pissed, used lots of words I will not type here. I caught myself thinking, why do I bother. I just wasted over 5hrs of my life, it is 1:15am, and I will be woken up by my daughter before 7am. What the hell is wrong with me. Why would anyone want to be such a loyal sports fan? Why do we do this to ourselves? I am almost done with the team. Not that I will stop watching, or that I am not a Tigers fan anymore, but instead of 5.5 back, we are now 7.5 back, and I am thinking that a loss like that will be really hard to come back from. We had so many chances to win the game. God, why, why do this to me?..........( At some point soon, something good will happen, and I will write the other version of this post, the I love being a fan post.. stayed turned... I just hope I can write it soon.) I'm right you're wrong

No comments: