Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Good Bye Granderson and Jackson

The Tigers got ride of their starting 2b, starting CF and their number 2 starter in the last week. The good news, they did resign their starting SS who hits 230, yeah. He does play good defense at least. At first I will admit, I hated this deal, I love Curtis a lot, though he did think last year all of a sudden he was a power hitter, and he stopped hitting doubles, triples and stealing bases, but he still had a decent year, and is a great defender in center, and Comerica has a lot of room to cover. Now sure he can't hit left handers to save his life, but he is still relatively young, turns 29 before the year, and I think he has some good years left. But then, I thought about it, listen to what other people had to say, both good and bad things, and I relaxed a little. First we get back Austin Jackson who is a top CF prospect and was rated as the #27 best prospect in all of baseball. He is athletic, can hit, and a good defender, and very well become a very good center fielder. I don't really like the fact of trading a good center fielder for someone who could become one, but Granderson's contract was back heavy in turns of money, so it clears up a lot of room that way. We also get 3 pitchers back. Max Scherzer is a good young pitcher who gets a lot of strike outs, which is why I like him in fantasy. And being a number 3 pitcher could give him a chance to do well. Plus Cooke is a lefty who should be a upgrade in that lefty bullpen spot, and then you got Daniel Schlereth, the son of ex NFL and ESPN talking head Mark. So we are cutting payroll I guess that is something we need to do, but I was hoping we would just hold on for one more year, because after this year Mags, and his big contract, Bonderman, Robertson, and D-train and their really big, sicking contracts will be gone and then we have some room to move. It looks like we gave it a shot last year, lost in the one game playoff, so we lost the central, after having a 3 game lead with 4 to play, and now we are going to save money so we can resign Verlander next year, which they need to do, and then build around him and Cabera, aka manny jr. I just hope the team can still at least be competitive and we don't go back to a 100 loss season. I have faith that this team can still at least contend in the central, but I think the White Sox will be better, and I don't see how the Indians can't be better, plus the Twins will still be the Twins, and one of these years KC has to do something right? well maybe not, but the other three I worry about.


So after going crazy, being upset, settling down, and relaxing a bit, I am ok with the trade. I just really hope Zumaya gets back healthy because my two Tiger t-shirt jerseys are Granderson and Zumaya, and if Joel never gets back I will need to buy at least one more, if not two. So now that that is over, we can focus on things that happen way before the start of baseball season.

HS Basketball started last night for the boys in Michigan and my Mt Pleasant boys won by 23 over Midland. Not bad as far as first games go, but we will find out much much more about this team Friday against Saginaw Arthur Hill, should be a good game. We got lots of snow, and schools are closed today, and more is on the way, but hopefully that will not affect the Friday games in Michigan.

AI will be playing tonight as the 76ers take on the Pistons that should be fun, the Wings also play tonight, and both of those teams need a win. I'm not going to lie, it hasn't been the easiest time ever to live in Michigan and be a sports fan. I mean I was born in New Jersey, and thus am a Giants fan, but the Tigers and Pistons are my team, and I like the Wings as well as the Devils. Luckily my Alma Mater, CMU is 11-2 and ranked 25th in the nation, and is the best football team in Michigan this year, of course, sadly, that isn't saying much. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: