Thursday, December 17, 2009

A sad day

I was very sad to hear the passing of Chris Henry who passed away early this morning. He had his share of problems in the past but for afar it looked like maybe he had turned a corner and was doing a lot better. Just a sad story. My thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family, the saddest part is he leaves behind 3 children. RIP Chris.




Changing topics, Tiger Woods was named AP athlete of the decade. Now if you think of a athlete as someone who participates in sports, and if you think of golf as a sport then you should have no problem with Woods being named Athlete of the decade. However I do not consider golf a sport, I consider it a recreational activity, something that you do with friends for fun on a nice summer day, having a couple of cold ones, enjoying yourself. I don't think of things like speed, endurance, power, strength, jumping ability, those are the things I think of when I hear the word Athlete. What Lance Armstrong did was amazing, now he has endurance, and some speed, and to also run marathons he is clearly a great athlete. Phelps won 14 gold medals in the decade and 22 golds at the world championships, he is a a great athlete. Anyone can play golf, sure they can't play it as well as Tiger, and of course he is good at what he does, and golf is very hard to be good at, but it isn't hard to play. Could Tiger play any other sport? maybe, maybe not, but calling him athlete of the decade makes me sick, because I don't even consider him an athlete. Using my definition, someone who is strong, quick, powerful, can jump, run far and fast, how can he be on the list, also how can Jimmy Johnson, who drives a damn car around a track in a circle for a few hours gets one vote, but Tim Duncan, the greatest power forward of all time, who won 3 titles in the decade, or Kobe, who won 4 titles in the decade not get one vote. Then Albert P who won the NL triple crown for the decade plus one title and got to another one only got one vote. Really one vote. Albert got the same amount of votes as a NASCAR driver... really? I give up. I wouldn't even mind as much if Roger Federer would have won. He dominated his sport more then Tiger, 15 grand slams, to Tiger's 12, and he made 21 grand slam finals overall, and has been in 17 of the last 18, and was number one for a record 237 weeks ( about 4 and a half years) He is someone with endurance and get eye hand coordination and power as well. To be fair, you need to do seperate ones for team sport and individual athletes. I would put Phelps one, Lance two, Roger 3, Tiger Four, then for team sports put Albert one, Duncan 2, kobe 3, and Brady 4.

Coach Jones has left CMU and will be the new head coach at Cinci. I wish him well, and would like to thank him for what he did for my school here at CMU. He took over a program that had success but he kept that success going and added even more success. He won 2 MAC titles in 3 years, got to 3 bowl games, beat 2 big ten teams, and we are currently ranked 25th in the nation sitting at 11-2. I do not know him personally but did get a chance to know his wife Barb, and oldest son Alex,since I coached Alex on his 7th grade basketball team, we went undefeated at 10-0, just wanted to throw that out there, and they could not be better people, so I wish the entire Jones family well and I now will be quietly rooting for Cinci in the next few years. CMU has named Associate head coach and defensive end coach Steve Stripling the interim head coach though the bowl game. I am happy with that choice just on the things I have read about him, and I have faith that the team will be ready for the bowl game and will beat Troy. I also have all the faith in Mr Heeke, our AD that who ever he hires as our next head coach will be the right man for the job. I'm right, you're wrong.

2 comments:

Wyatt said...

You're really arguing Tiger being named athlete of the decade? Your argument for him not being able to play any other sport is bogus. Could Tim Duncan win any golf tournament? Could Tim Duncan win any NASCAR race? I'm as big a NBA fan as any, but doubting Tiger's golf accomplishments is absurd. Anyone can also play basketball, play football, swim, and drive a car. Tiger KILLS everyone. Phelps is the only other one to come close, IMO.

sman said...

Golf and NASCAR are not sports in my definition of the word, nor are they athletes. Tiger dominates golf, and Jimmy Johnson dominates NASCAR, good for them, I couldn't win a NASCAR race or hit the ball 300 yards, but that isn't a sport, and they are not athletes. Best golfing is Tiger, best athlete, no way.