Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Top ten best/worst sports moments/stories of 2009

It's that time of year again, when you think of 2009 what will YOU think of. Not what you need someone to remind you of, or read up on, but what will you remember.


Best:

1) MSU final four run- It did end just short, we will get there, but the run MSU made in the big dance was great, and at the right time and right place for the state of Michigan, beaing USC, Kansas, Louisville and UCONN in a row is a great run, even if they did get waxed by the Champs

2) the Super Bowl- A few plays I will always think of, the pick 6 before the half, Larry's long TD catch, and me actually thinking the Cards might win the Superbowl, and then of course the game winning catch that you have seen 1,569 times this year.

3) UNC basketball champs- I think of them high because even though I was cheering hard for MSU that was a great team, with a great college, note college, player on it, one of the all time best, not the best, but one, and they came back to win it, and they did. I love this about college sports.

4) CMU-MSU- For me this was big, it was great not just because we beat MSU in football at their place, after reading MSU fans on chat rooms all week saying how they are going to kill us 42-0 and no CMU player would start for MSU, but then it's a great game, we go for two and the win, don't get it, a laughing text from my best friend and MSU grad follows, then we get the onside kick, get to FG range, miss the first, offsides called... our kicker says he saw the flag and knew the first kick was just practice.. I don't really believe him, but that's ok, because, he then makes the second kick and CMU beats MSU in football.. again, we did it in 1991 and 1992 as well. Just a great game, and as always, it's great to be a Chippewa.

5) Roger- I am not a big tennis guy, but I actually enjoy watching him in major finals. They are just good sporting events

6) Yanks are back- After many years, and many many many millions of dollars the Yanks win again. Will this get everyone off of A-rod's back? well maybe until spring training starts again. But I guess when your payroll is over 75 million more then the next highest team, you should win right?

7) Fl does it again- Tebow started the year with another national title, and was undefeated all the way to the SEC title game this year.

8) Lakers take back the title- Kobe wins one as the alpha dog, he got his 4th to go with Shaq... and then Shaq goes to the Cavs.. umm, I am sure that isn't related at all. This may have been higher.. you tell me.

9) Pens-Wings-This again was not something I liked, since I was rooting for the Wings, big time, but give the Pens all the credit in the world, got down, fought back and won game 7 on the road to win the cup, you got to give it to them. I hope we can have round 3 this year, but the Wings need to get healthy and actually start playing good hockey first.

10) PSU VB- Yeah I went there. Maybe this is just because it happened like a week ago, but I remember it now. Down 2-0, for the first time in like 3 years, PSU rallied back to beat Texas 3 games in a row and win another national title, their 3rd in a row. Again, it was a great sports moment. If you just like sports, you should have watched it, and you would have appreciated it.

I am sure I am forgetting some, so let me know your list.

Worst:

1) Tiger- I just am really tired hearing about it. Can that story go away.

2) Air McNair-Gone too soon, so sad.

3) C Henery-another one that just happened, gone way too soon, it seemed like he was starting to get his life back in order.

4) Farve- It is rare that he gets pushed down this low, another year of is he retired or not, comes back and makes the pro bowl, yeah.. god I can't stand him.

5) Pistons era done- I have to have one personally one per list, at least, and this is mine this list, it was a great run of conference finals but it ended with a playoff appearance so short, 1st round sweep, I don't even think Tiger Woods had time to cheat on it. (sorry, that wasn't funny)

6) the Lions- I am not a lions fan but are they not the worst sports story of the year, because they are just so bad, they follow a 0-16 season up with what looks to be a 2-14, great job guys.. and the fans who celebrate one win like they won the super bowl, well actually we can't say that, because the Lions have never been to the super bowl, so we can't say

7) Giants-Panthers- I will once again use the personal and just happened rule to add something that happened 2 days ago. The Giants are coming off a great win at the Skins, they looked great, I know Wash sucks, but still, and then in their last home game at Giants stadium with LT and other Giant greats on hand, they lay a egg and lose 41-9 and get eliminated from any chance of the playoffs.. yeah that was a bad day for me.

8) Serena- I think saying you are going to kill a line judge falls in the category of a bad sports moment or story.

9) AL Central play in game- I will admit this is another personally one for me, and truthfully for me, it is way higher then 9 as far as worst sports moments of the year. The Tigers were up 3 games with 4 to play, only to choke to a one game playoff, played in Minn, and a extra inning game, which as far as just a baseball game goes was great, but for Tigers fans it was gut wrenching to watch, where both teams had great chances to win, the Twins finally did. Only good thing about this, I didn't have to get my hopes up and have the Tigers get killed in the postseason. It did take a lot out of me, I didn't watch one game start to finish in the playoffs, and didn't see one pitch of the world series.

10) Jimmy Johnson- Why is he here, nothing that he did. But the AP named him athlete of the year, which would be great, if he was a athlete.. so I am taking it out on him.


I am sure there are tons I left off, let me hear your best and worst sports moments or stories from 2009. Happy new year to all, and a great 2010 to you. I'm right you're wrong.

2 comments:

Matt Platek said...

Looking forward to 2010... when the Hawks take out the Wings in the playoffs and the Sox get back to winning the Central division title :)

sman said...

good luck with that Matt... For the record: The Sox one I actually agree with.