Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lets go Tigers

Pistons had a terrible year,

The Wings had a tough year with injuries and for awhile they were on the outside looking in to make the playoffs, then they played like we all knew they could and got up to the 5 seed. After winning the first round they lost last night 2-1 to the top seeded sharks ending their season and making only one team that I really care about to follow until football starts, and that's the tigers. The bad part about that is with baseball there is so many games it is hard to really get in to it until later in the year. I guess I could focus more on my fantasy teams, and I guess I could spend more time at night with my wife instead of watching sports on mute in the other room, or I guess I could just watch the rest of the NBA and NHL playoffs and just enjoy good games without having to worry about who wins.

I can just focus on the draft lottery, then the NBA draft, and the football starts.


The Wings series was tough because they lost all 4 games by one goal, three 4-3, and one 2-1. The one game they won they won 7-1. Meaning they lost in 5 games, yet outscored the Sharks. I wonder if that has ever happened. Usually in a short series, 4 or 5 games, one team is clearly better then the other and you really don't have much time to complain. The Sharks are a good team, but lets look at it for a second:

Game one: Sharks score 3 goals in 1:19, the rest of the game, Wings win 3-1.

Game Two: Sharks have 10 PP, including 3 5 on 3.. and win 4-3, with the Wings being up 3-2 after 2, and the Sharks getting a PP the entire period basically and win on a broken stick that sets them up for a break away goal

Game three: Wings up 3-1 after two, AT HOME, Sharks come back to force OT, then score when a shot goes wide off the boards, and out of the zone so fast and hard, it sets up a 2 on 1 for the Sharks.

Game four: Wings score 5 in the 1st, and win 7-1.

Game five: Wings score first, only to not score again and have the Sharks win 2-1. They had their chances, lots of them, just couldn't score.

SO I still believe the Wings are the better team. I am not blaming the refs for loosing the series, there was a lot of questionable calls both ways. Face offs hurt a lot, and I think the team just wasn't ready to play in every game. When you are a older team you need to give your best each game to get the series over with and get some rest. Not coast until you face elimination and then turn it on. Like in Game 7 in Phx, they won 6-1, and Game 4 against the Sharks they won 7-1. Just play like that from the start, and don't put yourself in holes. Also Jimmy Howard is a rookie goalie, he is good, and I think he will be a great goalie for years to come for the Wings, but he was good to give up one cheap or soft goal a game, you just can't do that in the playoffs. Much like my first girlfriend he didn't know when to close his legs. It was a tough way to end the year, but I am sure they will regroup and be fine. I shaved last night and sadly the playoff beard is gone before I was planing on it, but oh well. Next year will be the Wings year. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: