Friday, July 31, 2009

Busy Baseball day

Today, at 4pm, a little over a hour ago, was the baseball non weaver trade deadline. Before I talk about that, I want to quickly touch on big papi and Manny's names both being linked to that now famous 2003 test, with 100 names on it. All I have to say about this is simple. Who gives a crap. It was 6 years ago. It is very clear now that many many people were using. If it was only a few, sure it is a big deal, records should be taking away, and things like that, but if almost everyone was doing something, then lets just move on. Announce the entire list at once, get it over with, and we can move on. Just release the rest of the names, and be done with it. One or two names coming out every few weeks or whatever is stupid. It really makes me upset. It is clear that the hall of fame should just have a special wing, for players from 1986 to 2006, just like they should have special signs on plaques of players that played before the league allowed black players, really every era should be in its own section, with a sign describing the era. This will never happen, but it is not fair for a guy like Bonds, Clemons, or even big mac not to be in the hall.

Anyway, the trade deadline, I will just talk quickly about a few moves that I care about.


-Washburn to my Tigers-This one I like a lot. I liked Luke French, so I am a little sad to see him go, especially since there is no reason to believe we will have Washburn for any more then the rest of this year, I hope we do resign him. We have a nice 3-5 year window here that the Tigers could be very good. They add one more bat, and some bullpen help and they are a legit title contender. A 3 man short series rotation of Verlander, Jackson and Washburn is sick, and makes me smile thinking about it. If only they picks up a bat, but still I like the move, and think the Tigers will be players in the AL central for at least the next 5 years

-Peavy to the White Sox- Well it happens a year later, and he hasn't pitched since June. Maybe they had to pull the trigger quick, after the Tigers got Washburn. I still like the Tigers move more

-O Cabera to the Twins- Nice piece for the Twins, they get a good SS, who has plenty of big game experience. This is one thing you can always count on, the Twins will be heard from, they just will not go away, they are always, always in the race.

-Martinez to the Bo Sox- A big move for the Red Sox, as the Indiana continue to unload. Picked by many, including me, to win the Al Central they have just had a terrible year. I think they basically told people, anyone but Grandy you can have. First Derosa, who they just signed this year, the Garko, then Betancourt,then Lee, and now Martinez. This should give Boston a spark, I just don't know what they are going to do with him. Does he catch, does he play first, they already have pretty good guys at those spots, and they have big papi, who is back to his old self DH. So I guess I will wait and see what they do. They also then traded Laroche, who they just got a few days ago, for C Kotchman of the Braves. He will be a bench player I assume for them, but just gives them another bat, and another threat. He also plays first, so I am interested to see what happens here.

Jerry Hariston Jr to the Yanks- After being dumbed by one of my fantasy teams, cause Howie Kendrick decided to hit again, and I picked him back up, Hariston Jr was traded from the Reds to the Yanks. The thing about him is he can play a lot of different spots, and has some speed, so he is a very nice piece to pick up, especially to have on your bench. I think this makes him a bench player, and not a everyday player, which makes me even happier I just dropped him.

Scott Rolen to the Reds- The Reds sent E Encarnacion to the Jays and two other players for Rolen. This gives the Reds a nice veteran player, and a good bat. Why are they buying when they are 9.5 games back at the deadline?.. not really sure. I will have to get back to you on that.

Fl got Nick Johnson from the Nats, that is a nice move for them, the Dodgers also picked up Sherrill to be their set up man, which helps their bullpen. Also, one quick question. Do the Pirates have any players that they had on opening day left on their team? My god. I mean I would feel really bad for all those fans, if it wasn't for the fact that they won the super bowl and Stanley cup this year.. and had those title town shirts made... see, this is what you get... your summer's suck. I think it's fair. I'm right, you're wrong

No comments: