Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Catching up on a few things

For a random Tuesday in late July there was a lot happening in the sports world yesterday. I will quickly look at some of them.


-Mark Buehrle set a ML record and retired 45 batters in a row, until his second straight perfect game was broken up with two outs in the 6th. He was on a roll that is for sure. He did end up coming back down to earth, and gave up 5 runs and lost the game, but it was a very impressive run.

-Brett Farve is staying retired... for now. God I hope it is for good. Just go away. No one player has done more in the last two years for me not to like him then Farve. I never had a problem with him, wasn't a big fan, but I liked him, but after all this, I'm staying, I'm going crap, for like 3 or 4 years, I just want him to stick with it. I will admit part of this isn't his fault, it wouldn't bug me as much if it wasn't for all the attention it gets, which really isn't his fault, it's ESPN's. But still. He is a great qb and he has the right to change his mind, and if he wants to play more power to him, but make up your mind, and stop coming back right before camp every year. Think it though. I just hope in later years I can forget this, and still give him the credit he deserves for being one of the best qb of all time.

-Jim Johnson sadly passed away yesterday at the age of 68. I am a Giants fan, so of course I do not like the Eagles, but Johnson was one of the best defensive minds in the history of the game, and due to the fact that I lost a grandfather of my own to cancer I feel very bad for the family, and his friends, as well as eagles fans. Cancer is such a terrible thing, and I admire anyone who has it, and keeps fighting. My prayers are with the Johnson family, may he RIP.

-Phelps-Yesterday it was his losing in the 200 free, by over a body length and by around 1.4 seconds. Which in swimming is a lot, but he did just win the 200 fly today and set a world record. What has gotten the most press about this is the suit that was worn by Germany’s Paul Biedermann, which will not be allowed in the Olympics and will be outlawed sometime in 2010. Here is the thing about this, there has already been 22 world records broken at the world championships. World records are becoming nothing in swimming. They are being broking all the time, you could beat the old world record and not even medal. The bodysuits are a huge advantage, you might as well give them flippers and a motor. That is the next step. What is wrong with everyone wearing the same suit, and make sure they keep it that way. Or each year times will get faster and faster, and how then are you suppose to compare any great swimmers of the past, if people that no one knows about are coming out of nowhere, and dropping 3 seconds off their personally best to set world records. I mean, come on. Good thing it's swimming, and it really doesn't matter, but still.

-Cliff Lee has just be traded to the Phillies for prospects. This is a big move, that should help the champs out. I don't know how much, I am not too high on Lee, but he should help. This also opens the door for someone else to go after Holliday, or even more so, closes the door on the Jays for getting max value for him, this was the time to trade him, because in the off season, and especially at next years deadline, they will have to ask for much less. I still think he may be moved, but I have gone from thinking it was about 70-30 he will be traded, to 60-40, he will not be.

-The Tigers have now lost 3 in a row, which has me worried, mainly because the offense has disappeared. Then last night, they score 3 in the second, and then don't score again, and lose 7-3. Biggest problem right now, they are leaving way too many man on base. They need to start getting those big clutch hits, or not only will the White Sox catch them, but the Twins are right there too. There need to do something before the deadline, to give the team a boost. Especially with Zumaya's injury, they need bullpen help. I feel they have plenty of pieces to move, lots of good young guys, they need to move on this now. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: