Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten (July 28)

This week I am doing my top ten RB in the NFL of all time. I came up with ten quick names, as I was thinking about this, and then, I started thinking, man I am leaving a lot of guys off. So I made some changes, but I will admit, there are many many guys you can make a case for, and I would love to hear it.


1) Jim Brown- All around best athlete ever at the position, could do it all, just didn't play very long.. by choice, but lead the league in rushing a record 8 times, no one else has done it more then 4. AVG a sick 5.22 ypc in his career

2) Barry Sanders- Had nothing to work with, and put on a show with every run. Would have broke the all time rushing record if he wanted to play longer, but like Brown he walked away on top, can't put him first because he wasn't a good blocker, didn't catch a lot out of the backfield, and was used very seldom by the end zone. In other words, he wasn't a complete, or as M Hodge would say, factor, back. Just the greatest pure runner of all time.

3) Walter Payton- Second all time still in total rushing yards, and just one of the great players and people the sport has ever seen. Goon way too soon, RIP sweetness

4) Emmitt Smith- Yeah he had a lot of help, but he still is the record holder for most rushing yards in a career, and rushing TD's, unless LDT can get 38 more before he is done, which doesn't look good. He also could catch passes, and though I am not a fan of his, or the Cowboys, I got to give him his love.

5) Gale Sayers- Here is where it gets fun. I don't think too many people could argue 1-4, they may argue the spots, but not them being the top 4, 5 though 10 it gets fun. I am personally going to put Gale Sayers here, because though he only played a few years, the years he played were amazing. So go ahead, argue with me.

6) Eric Dickerson- He is still 6th on the all time rushing list, and also a member of the 2,000 yard in a season club. He exploded on the scene and had some of the greatest single seasons in rushing history. There is no question in my mind he needs to be on this list.

7) Marshall Faulk- I think Faulk is actually underrated. People forget how good he was, and the numbers he had. Besides being 9th on the all time rushing yards list he also is on the TD list, and was the first back that really did it all. Caught a lot of passes as well. There were others, Roger Craig comes to mind, but he didn't do it to the level that Faulk did, once Marshall got in the league. His spot, again, could be argued for position, but I don't think too many people would say he isn't in the top ten

8) LDT- Is he better then some of these guys, yeah, should he be higher, yeah probably. But he isn't done playing yet, so I will just put him here for now, because even though I am a very big fan of his, I don't want to be bias. When his career his over, he may be closer to 5, then 10, but for right now, I will put him here at 8.

9) Marcus Allen- He is just behind Faulk in the rushing yard list, at 10 overall. He also was a back who played at a high level for a long time. Including winning some Super Bowls, which always helps your case.

10) Cutris Martin- This is where it gets fun, His numbers are very good. He is top 5 in rushing yards all time, and has more career TD's then many players on this list. So, why not, lets put him in the top ten.


Ok, there is lots of guys to fight over, the Bus, Dorrest, Harris, ect, ect, ect. SO let me know, who would you have in your top ten, and what is your order?

Also real quick, I have to mention I saw Phelps got second in the 200 free today at the World Championships his first major individual loss in over 4 years. I had to send the text to a few friends.. Phelps got blown away.. sorry, I just had to.
I'm right, you're wrong.

2 comments:

Dane said...

Oh come on schwanda where is rasham salaam? or kijuana carter or tim biakabatuka? ha....Good lists I like them. You should check out my blog. The name is makeithurtsports....There is a really good one on the WNBA ha.

sman said...

Well it was hard not to put the great Ron Dayne in, but Salaam is a good one too