Monday, July 6, 2009

Weekend Wrap up

First I hope everyone had a fun July 4th weekend. I didn't do the diary like I did last year, so you are all speared from having to read that. I did go back to Shelly's cottage however, without my wife and daughter, who went to Higgins Lake, so I even got to stay the night Saturday, so I did drank way too much, but had a great time seeing lots of old friends.. mike, potter and chaz were the fun ones, they stayed up later then I did, but I at least made it to 3:30am. Anyway, it is a busy sports weekend, so lets talk about some of the bigger sports stories, or just the ones that I remember at the time.


-Andy was close, but just couldn't gee the job done. Roger is a beast, I don't know enough about tennis to make a educated choose on where he ranks all time, but I know he is damn good. That was a very exciting match to watch. I didn't see the entire thing, but I watched the last two sets, and was very entertained. I feel bad for Andy, but Roger is just better, that is all there is too it.

-Sheed is going to the Celtics, and Kidd is staying with the Mavs. If Kidd is actually getting a 3 year 25 Million dollar deal, that replaces trading Harris for him, as the dumbest thing the Mavs have ever done. Why in the world would you give him a 3 year deal right now, and 25 Million, yeah he is worth over 8 million a year.. come on. What a bad move. As for my boy Sheed, this is going to be tough for me. I love Sheed, and have for so long, I have 6 Sheed jerseys, and though I knew it wasn't going to be a Piston anymore, I didn't plain my self for this, basically i was hoping he would go to the west, and then it would be easier for me. But of course he had to go to the Celtics, I think the only thing that would have been worse is if he went to the Cavs or the Bulls. For the Celtics now, I don't know what this does, if he wants to play hard and fit in, and in the 4th you can play sheed, kg, pp, Allen and rondo, that is damn good, and there is talks that Grant Hill is going to meet with them too. Again it isn't 1999 but Hill could still help a team. If Sheed wants to buy in, they may be the new favorite in the east, because Shaq on the Cavs now doesn't hurt them, because either Sheed or KG, would step out, and take him away from the basket, and if he stayed in the lane, they would hit open jump shots. I don't know how the Vince deal will help the Magic, loosing Hedo will be big for them, I think, but they can still have a lineup with Nelson, Vince, Lewis, Dwight, and who ever else, Piteros maybe, so that isn't too bad. Those 3 are the top 3 in the east for sure, that we do know. I don't know how I am going to take it the first time I see Sheed in the Celtic Green, I need time.

-My day was going really well on Saturday, until we got back to the cottage from the lake, and turned on sports center. I was shocked. Steve Mcnair was dead. This took me totally by surprise. It is always sad when you lose someone too soon, but the timing of it makes it tough. I of course don't know him personally, and I was not a Oiler/Titan, or Raven fan, but I liked him, and watching him play in college, on TV, was sick. It is sad that now all this stuff has to come out about him. How he was dating this 20 year old, despite being married for 12 years and having 4 sons. I have always taking a step back from peoples personally life's and enjoyed what they do on a field, or entertainment area... thus why I only choose to remember Michael Jackson from the Dangerous album and before. I don't choose to think about anything else about him. I will do the same with McNair. What ever happens to come out, if it was a 3rd party who shoot them, though it doesn't appear to be, there is no forced entry, and him being shot 4 times and her once, in the head, with the gun below her, my guess would be. They had a fight, she expected him to get a divorce and leave his family and marry her, and he didn't want to do that, he was just getting a little on the side, and she snapped and shot him, and then herself. Such a sad story, and my prayers do go all to all of his family, friends, and fans. Especially his 4 boys, who now do not have a father. RIP Steve.

-The all star rosters were out yesterday, and usually the talk isn't who made it, it is who didn't. This is always going to happen, take 30 guys, there will be arguments about 31 and 32. Much like the big dance, they can add all the teams they want, but even with 65, every year there is still lots of arguments on who got in who shouldn't have and who didn't who should. The all star game in baseball is a lot like that. First you have the starters voted in, so the teams like the Red Sox and Yankees are usually well represented. Now sure, most of those guys are also good players and maybe they would get there anyway, but if you have a few guys that you know are making the team no matter what kind of a year they are having, then all of a sudden a guy like Cabera, manny jr as we call him, doesn't get in, cause you have a 1st basemen from the yanks and the sox, and there is your team. I feel he is by far the best player, well at lease hitter, and he has been getting better defensively, on our team, yet Granderson, Jackson and Verlander, are on the team, and Inge is in the final vote. Ask any pitcher would they rather face Inge or Cabera with the game on the line and I promise you they would all rather face Inge. Cabera is better, and he is having a very good season. Inge has hit a lot of HR, but he is still Brandon Inge, he will strike out more often then not, when you need him most. I love Granderson, and he is also having a nice year, avg is down a little, because all of a sudden he is acting like a power hitter, instead of a lead off hitter, but I don't mind him being there, and both Jackson and Verlander are having very good years, but no Cabera doesn't seem right to me. Each fan of a team I am sure could make a case for one of their players as well. So I guess that is the fun of it, there are arguments you can make for a lot of guys.

-Tiger won his own tournament, that wasn't very nice. I actually didn't watch one shot from this tournament, so I will not talk about it. Just to be safe though, I will mention this.... he is really really good.

-Real quick, I saw Candace Parker came back last night and played 20 minutes off the bench for the spark. The only reason why I mention this, she gave birth on May 13, that is like 7 weeks ago, and she was back playing professional basketball. That is unreal. Good for her. She makes it worth watching the WNBA, at least a little. Also the WNBA took a step in the right direction becoming more main stream, with Tarusi (sp?) getting a DUI the other day. I have liked her since her Uconn days, so it is nice to see her making it big time... it is really say that is where we are at in the world today, that you get far more attention when you do something wrong, then when you do something right.


I am sure I missed some things, so let me know if there is something you think is big enough to talk about. I'm right, you're wrong

No comments: