Sunday, July 12, 2009

How you can win 10-1 and be mad

Maybe it is just me, but the Tigers won 10-1 today vs the Indians, and I am upset about it. Why, no not because Granderson didn't have any RBI's that would have helped my fantasy team, 1-4 with a walk is fine, but because up 10-0 in the 9th Zach Minor, who is quickly becoming my least favorite player ever, comes in only to walk 3 and give up a double. Way to ruin the shout out Zach. Plus, here is the thing, I don't pretend to know a lot about baseball, since I didn't even start watching it until I got to college, fall of 2001, but if you have a big lead like that, it seems pretty simple what you should do. Throw strikes. Make your defense work, and make them hit the ball, instead Minor throws 7 balls in a row at one point, and 8 of 9. He walked in a run, yes, walked in a run up ten. This had me going crazy. I almost forgot about how great the game was, Cleeeeeeeeeeet Thomas went off, was a double away from the cycle. Inge hit two HR, Verlander pitched 7 shout out innings, it was a great way to go to the all star break, and then Minor tried to ruin it for me. Luckily Ni came in and got the final two outs, and ended the game. The only problem that I could see, is the break coming at a bad time. The Tigers are playing well right now, and there is a half empty way of looking at things that would tell you, you want to keep playing, you don't want to take a few days off and break the streak and kill the big Mo. I personally think they will be fine. They are now 3 and a half up at the break, and looking good. Rayburn, Thomas and Don Kelly have all played well, as Mags has sucked. If he actually becomes the Mags of old, wow, look out. Also if Carlos comes back and can give us anything, that is just another switch hitting outfielder. Both Verlander and Jackson have had great 1st half's, but getting another starter for a push this year wouldn't hurt. There is also the question of a lot of money tied up in guys that are hurt, and/or not playing well, or at all right now, Bondermen, Nate, D train, Mags, and Carlos is more then a third of our team salary. Lucky for me, and other Tiger fans, guys who are not getting paid a lot, and stepping in and playing great. Plus the free agent pick ups, Evertt and Laird, are both playing well. They don't give you a lot of offense, but they play good defense and at the bottom of your order gives you some timely hitting. All in all, I feel good about where the Tigers are at the break. I just hope they can keep it rolling. One thing I know, the Twins and the White Sox are not going away, and they have a lot of games left vs the Central which normally have been their down fall, this year has been a lot better... so far. Lets hope it continues. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: