Monday, September 29, 2008

The last game

well here we go, the last game for my Tigers this year, and even though they have had a really really bad year, they can win today and make sure the white sox don't make the playoffs, or they lose and finish last in the central behind KC, when they have the 3rd highest payroll in the majors, of course the top two, mets and yanks, didn't make it either... I am seeing a trend... anyway.. here are my recorded thoughts, as they happened, during the game... enjoy.


2:01pm- Game on espn 2 so I don't get to hear any rod allenism like "if your scared get a dog" or calling granderson the "straw that stirs the drink" ten times a game, but it's 2:01 with 1st pitch schedule for 2:05 and the trap is still on the field... I sense a rain delay.
2:04pm- we get to watch espn news on espn 2 for a bit.. yeah, I am excited, I hope it doesn't take too long, I might have to do something to pass the time.
2:30pm- rain delay continues, and we go to 1st and ten, skip and stephen a, that should be entertaining.
3:22pm- still in a rain delay... getting a little bored
4:01pm- still in a rain delay, we are waiting.. by we, I mean me, my daughter is napping and doesn't seem to care.
4:44pm- we receive word first pitch at 5pm, we are 15 minutes away, get pumped
5:09pm- 3 hr and change rain delay, first pitch to granderson, is a strike
5:18pm- sheff gets hit, and steals a base, but is left there, no hits or runs, and it's Freddy time
5:21pm- Lead off walk on 5 pitches. Freddy, not the best start, my friend
5:24pm= two batters, two walks, no outs for mr dye, aka, tiger's killer
5:27pm-Dye rbi single, 1-0 no outs. And we have a interesting thing happen. Chuck Hernedex comes out to talk to Garcia, why is that interesting, cause he got fired yesterday and is no longer our pitching coach, I guess he thought he would come back for one last game. A classy move by him, to help us out one last time.
5:29pm- Strike out Jim Thome on a 3-2 change up, see chuck knows what he is doing, he calmed him down, maybe we shouldn't of fired him, maybe it was the pitchers, not him, now we need a double play ball, one out, runner on first and second.
5:32pm- Deep fly ball, that was easy enough for Thames to catch it, two outs
5:32pm- Ken Griffy's son takes first pitch and grounds it to manny jr, we go to the second sox up 1-0.
5:33pm- Just announced on the bottom line that Edgar will not be back and we will not pick up his option. That is good news, thank god. It was also said that Inge will be back as the full time 3rd baseman, which is good, cause he is a great defensive third baseman, but now we have two problems, we need a catcher, cause I love Dusty Ryan, but he is no where close to being ready to be a everyday catcher, and will Carlos be back, and play short, or will we just play Ramon at short everyday, yeah, another position of need, besides our starting pitchers and bull pen.
5:36pm- Thames shockingly strikes out on 3 pitches.... ( No tigers fan is surprised)
5:39pm- We got 1-2-3, we move to the bottom of the 2nd, still down 1-0
5:47pm- Quick 1-2-3 inning, helped a lot by Inge, diving basically in to the stands for a foul ball and making the catch, showing why he needs to play 3rd every day, cause even though he hits 210, and strikes out almost as much as Marcus Thames, he can play defense, one thing Thames btw, can't do. but I move on
5:57pm- Granderson walk and stolen base, but a sheff strike outs ends that, go to bottom of the 3rd, 1-0 sox still
6:01pm- Quick 1-2-3 inning for Freddy, he is settled in and looking good, helped out by two fly outs to Thames, and he actually had to move on one of them, so that is impressive.
6:08pm- Mags singles, Manny jr, flys out, Thames switches it up, and instead of striking out hits in to the 4, 6, 3 inning ended double play... ( blog note: can you tell I am not a fan of Marcus Thames, am I too hard on him, no, of course I'm not.)
6:20pm- Two hit single by Ken Griffy's son, no harm done, we go to the 5th. Freddy still looks good.
6:38pm-Long inning to tie the game. Rayburn singles, Inge double to score him, then we have runners on the corners with no outs, and get some strike outs and let a big chance get away, but we tied it, 1-1 going to the bottom of the 5th, we got ourselves a game folks.
6:44pm- Quick 1-2-3 inning, I think it was like 7 pitches or something, we going top of the 6th, tied at 1.
6:55pm- During the 6th, my fiance looks at me, and ask, who are we cheering for, I die a little inside, even though I know she is joking.
6:55pm- I then tell her the Tigers, the team that is hitting, not pitching... she then asks, am I going to write that down...... guess I did honey.
6:56pm- Dusty Ryan strikes out with a runner on 1st and second, but before that, a double by manny jr, followed by a bunt by Rayburn and a throwing error, scores us a run, we go to the bottom of the 6 up 2-1, and I am feeling good. Come on boys.
6:58pm- As they come back from break they show Floyd going to the dugout and Ozzie clapping and talking to him, and you don't need to be a master at reading lips to tell he said, " good F * cking Job, F8 cking A"..... You have to love Ozzie, I mean he is great.
7:03pm- Garcia is out, with a runner on second, after a walk and stolen base, his shoulder is acting up, so he is being taking out, Galaraga, our ace, is coming in
7:09pm-In a sad note about this rain delay, pushing the game back the WNBA playoff game, the shock vs liberty is now going to start on espn classic, man, I really wanted to watch that, oh well.
7:36pm- we use 4 pitchers in the 6. Galaraga has two wild pitches to score the runner from second, then he goes out, tied 2-2, then seay comes in, walks a guy on purpose to set up the ground ball for a double play, but then walks another guy, so we put the great Gary Glover in, and his first pitch is hit for a grand slam, super, 6-2 white sox.
7:41pm- We get a hit, and get a guy on second, but can't move him, go to the bottom of the 7th, still 6-2, it's not looking good.
7:59pm- Rayburn gets a hit, but strike outs all around for everyone else, bottom 8, still 6-2
8:18pm- We got to the top of the 9th, it is now 8-2. I truthfully don't know what happened, because I am a good father, and I was giving my 10 month old daughter a bath.. also after the grand slam, I never really recovered.
8:22pm- we got quietly and quickly in the 9th 1-2-3. The sox win and play the Twins tomorrow, winner plays the Rays. It is almost a good feeling, that I am down with the Tigers for a while, I need some time to regroup after this season. Having such high expectations and then playing so bad. Thank god basketball is starting soon.I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: