Monday, September 29, 2008

week 5 collefe football wrap up

WOW, what a week. I was going to call it upset Saturday, but it started on Thursday, so I can't even do that. So here we go, ten things that caught my eye this week in college football.


10) ECU-Houston- well I guess the ECU bandwagon is now official closed for business. Maybe we found out a few things, they are not that good, it is just WVU and Va Tech are so overrated they just were able to win. Of course now Va Tech is ranked again, after their win in Lincoln, but that too will pass. I like both of those teams to lose a few more times. As for ECU, they can still be 9-3 or something like that and have a nice year, they just are no BYU or Utah.

9) Clemson-Maryland- I understand now why when we went down to play them last year some of their fans told me they wanted us to win so Bowden would be gone. Have you ever seen a team with more talent lose more games that they shouldn't, oh, maybe usc, more on that to come, I mean the Bama loss is looking better and better by the week, more on that to come too, but there is no way Maryland is a better team then Clemson, they have much more talent and should win the ACC. Of course they still could, but this was a bad loss. I have a special place for Clemson after my friends and I were treated so good down there last year, but I guess when you win 70-14, you tend to be in a good mood. I am sure the mood is a little different in Clemson, SC today.

8) MSU-IU- Ringer another near 200, I think he had 198, and a couple more TD's, he has a chance if some of the other guys keep having off games, and of course, if they keep winning, almost entirely because of him, to get some Heisman love. I mean the kid is sick. IU isn't that good, and it could be said, he has yet to really play a great defense, or maybe even a good one, so we will see what happens down the line, but if he puts up these types of numbers vs psu, wis, osu, and uofm, he is going to have to get some love by the voters, and at least be talked about as a dark horse. I also found out due to a friend of mine who's brother plays on the team, that he is a nice guy, not cocky at all, and has a good head on his shoulders, so that is nice to hear. He is a special player. But Hoyer will need to be a factor, throw to Mark Dell please, or teams will put 9 guys in the box all day.

7) PSU-Ill- Only a few of my friends will get this, and I don't know if they will read it, but.... "YOU DON'T BEAT PENN STATE AT HOME AT NIGHT." The white out was in full effect and psu was ready to go. Plus with the way OSU has been playing, and Wisconsin giving up their lead at Uofm, more on that later as well, PSU just might be the new favorites to win the big ten. I don't think they have a great team, but they are good, and very tough to beat at home.

6) BYU in the Top Ten- with their big wins, plus some upset losses by some other top teams, BYU is in the top ten. They just need to run the table, as does Utah and then their game on November 22 becomes a bcs bowl game to the winner. That should happen, and it should be a great game.

5) OK-TCU- Oklahoma is the new number one, and they continue to look good. Plus with their schedule they basically have to beat Texas, and then beat Mizzu in the big 12 title game, and they are in the BCS title game. But with the way college football has been going, that will be easier said then down, since every conference game, especially every road conference game is a great chance for an upset.

4) Uofm-Wisconsin- down 19-0 at halftime Michigan should have been done. But a nice comeback, and they get a big big win. By no means do I think Michigan is a good team, they have a lot of holes and they need a lot of work, but there is still talent there, so I think they will be better then a lot of people think, and they will make a bowl game, but they have a few more losses in them. Once they get some guys for rich rod's system, like the qb coming next year, they will be fine, and right back in the big ten title, nc talk every year, because they are Michigan, and love them or hate them, they are a storied program and they are going to get athletes and top players to come.

3) FL-Ole miss- this maybe should be number one, just because ole miss had lost like 20 some sec games in a row or something, but we come to expect this in college football. We also come to expect that when a top team in any other conference losses a road game to a average or bad team in their conference sec fans tell everyone that shows how bad that team is, but when it happens in the sec is shows how deep the conference is, and how all teams are good, and even our worst team can beat our best, or second best, on any given day. But I am sorry, when a team as bad as ole miss beats you at home, you are either a) not a good football team or b) just looked past them, and played a very very bad game. Those are the only two options, there is no option c) it shows how great the sec is, that even the worst team can beat one of the best on the road. Maybe ole miss is getting better, but there is no way Florida should have lost that game.

2) Bama-UGA- I will admit it, I was wrong, really really wrong. I picked Clemson to beat Bama, I picked them to not cover the next week, I picked Arkansas to beat them, with them looking past, and I picked UGA to beat them. I am sorry. ROLL TIDE. I am on board now. That is a great football team. They came out and killed UGA on the road, at night, during a "black out" game. That is a great win, and I predicted as the game was happening they would move up to 2, and they did, and they should. Now of course they still have some tough games to go. But they look very strong. Deep down I am still worried that their youth will show up and they will lose a game that they shouldn't, but we will see. Maybe some people picked them to win, but I bet no one picked them to dominate the first half like that, up 31-0. I mean give UGA credit for coming back, but they just dug way too deep of a hole. Very nice win, and now we will just all wait for them to lose to a team that they are not suppose to at home, and drop back down to 8 or 9.

1) CMU-Buffalo- If this is your first time reading this, my chippewas are always number one. This was a great game. Buffalo is a much better team then they have been in the past, and being the back to back MAC champs we are going to get every ones best shot each week, and we need to be ready to play, and stop getting off to bad starts. But it was a great game, and a nice win, and thank god that FG hit the post, cause it helped my weekend out a lot. I was lucky enough to watch the game from the sidelines and man, what a experience, I love being that close to the action, the front row is nice, the sidelines is better.


One last thing, non college football related, yesterday I was in sports hell. here is was NFL Sunday, plus the last scheduled day of the reg. season in baseball, and I am spending the day at my fiance's grandparents house, no tv, outside around a bond fire, listening to people talk about stuff I don't care about, or about people I don't care about, it was bad. If it wasn't for the great food, and the food was great, it would have been the worst day of my life. Only the food, and the fact that my Giants had a bye got me though. I love my fiance and I know having a daughter now and growing up there are just sometimes you have to do things and sit though stuff you don't want to do, well yesterday was that game. So to anyone still single and in college, enjoy it while you can.My old favorite saying use to be, if it wasn't for nothing, I would never do anything, sometimes I miss those days.

Also I am very happy that I get one more chance to cheer for the Tigers this year. In fact it is about a half and hour from now. Freddy Garcia goes for the Tigers, and I will be doing a running diary. Should be fun. If the white sox win, they play the Twins tomorrow to see who plays the Rays, if the Tigers win, the sox are done, and the Twins are in. I don't like either team, but I dislike the white sox more, so I am really hoping the Tigers can win, and keep the sox out of the playoffs... I will also do my playoffs pick as soon as they are all set, and I will include what I had in the beginning of the year, and how off I was in the AL, and how close I was in the NL. The Tigers also fired their pitching coach. Now the pitching staff was bad, but I don't know how much of that was Chuck's fault, but I guess he was the one who got the blame this time, so I guess Leyland will be next, if it doesn't turn around. Like I said before, he needs to be either gone, or get an extension, this team needs to know that they guy calling the shots is going to be there, so if they don't listen, and play harder, they will not be. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: