Saturday, August 29, 2009

NFL season Picks

Well it is that time of year again, time to make my NFL season picks. I will admit, like last year, I don't see the records being close, since I just took each game on the schedule and picked a winner, and then counting up the wins for each team, without looking at streaks and things like that. So this year I have added a window for error if you will. A range where I feel the team will be, with my pick in the middle. A few things to note before looking at this:

1) The Steelers will be good again
2) I think the Pats will be back to 07 form
3) I think the Seahawks will be much better
4) I really do like the Texans
5) I think I overrated the Colts, and they will not do as well as I think
6) The rams, lions, kc, Oakland, sf, buff, nyj, den, and clev, will all be pretty, bad, TB also will not even be close to last year. I also don't like the Bears this year, I just don't think Cutler is a good fit.



AFC:

West:
SD: From 12-4 to 11-5, My Pick: 12-4- Lets face it, the division sucks
Den: From 4-12 to 5-11, My Pick: 4-12- No Cutler, maybe no Marshall, and a new coach who is like 12, yeah, not good.
KC: From 3-13 to 5-11, My Pick:3-13- I am not sold that Cassell will be the answer
Oak: From 2-14 to 4-12, My Pick: 2-14- I just don't see them being good

East:
Pats: From 13-3 to 11-5, My Pick: 13-3- I see them not missing a beat, Brady will be back and it will be like 07 all over again.
NYJ: From 4-12 to 6-10, My Pick: 4-12- sorry Matt, I think it is going to be a tough year
Mia: From 6-10 to 9-7, My Pick: 6-10- I see a step back, the Pats will be better, and people will be ready for them this year.
Buff: From 3-13 to 6-10, My Pick: 3-13- I know TO usually does good his first year with a new team, but I just don't see it this year.

South:
Ten: From 12-4 to 10-6, My Pick: 11-5-They should have another good year
Ind: From 11-5 to 9-7, My Pick: 11-5- Like I said, I maybe overrating them a bit, cause they could have problems, but they still have Manning and Wayne, they should be fine.
Jags: From 11-5 to 9-7, My Pick: 11-5- I liked them last year, and was wrong, lets try it again
Texans: From 11-5 to 8-8, My Pick: 11-5- Ok, so no way all 4 of these teams go 11-5, but there is a chance. I really liked the Texans to break out last year, and they showed some signed if Matt and Andre don't get hurt, I like this team, they just can't make the playoffs in this division right now.

North:
Pitt: From 14-2 to 12-4, My Pick: 14-2- They will have 4 easy games in this division, and then two hard ones against the Ravens, playing the NFC North, will also be fun for them
Balt: From 13-3 to 11-5, My Pick: 13-3-Should be a little better on offense and their defense is still great
Cle: From 6-10 to 4-12, My Pick: 5-11- I really don't like them, if you have two qb's you have none.
Cin: From 1-15 to 4-12, My Pick: 2-14- If Carson doesn't get hurt, maybe they can have a much better year, but I will wait until I see it... child please


NFC:

West:
Cards: From 11-5 to 9-7, My Pick: 10-6- I think they will still win the division but like I mentioned before, I think Seattle will be better.
Sea: From 9-7 to 7-9, My Pick: 9-7- Again I think Hasselback will be back, and they will have a much better year, he has TJ to throw to now, plus E James to go with J Jones and TJ Ducket for a nice backfield mix.
SF: From 1-15 to 3-13, My Pick: 2-14- Really find the wins in their schedule, besides the Rams, and maybe Lions, who else is there.. can't win with them.. can't do it.
STL: From 1-15 to 3-13, My Pick: 2-14- Again, find the wins, San fran and the Lions those are their chances.

East:
NYG: From 13-3 to 11-5, My Pick: 13-3- So I'm a homer, big deal, I am a little worried about not having a big name wide out, but I believe between Hixon and Hicks they can get it done. Plus Smith, Tyree, and Mario for depth, and making big 3rd down catches, manily Steve Smith.. plus another year for Boss in the offense, and with the O line and running game the Giants should be fine.
Phi: From 13-3 to 11-5, My Pick 13-3- Lose the tie breaker to the Giants for the division, and their is a chance Mike Vick ruins this teams chemistry and has them go way down, but I think they will be good enough to make the playoffs for sure.
Dal: From 11-5 to 9-7, My Pick: 10-6- Always drama in big D, when it isn't TO/Whitten/Romo, it's a scoreboard that any punter can hit, as much as I hate them however, I still see at least 10 wins for this team.
Was: From 9-7 to 7-9, My Pick: 9-7- They still have some big question marks at QB, and play in a very tough division, but I still see them at 9 wins, and just missing the playoffs.

South:
NO: From 11-5 to 9-7, My Pick: 10-6- I like the Saints this year to win the division, though, if they fall off ATL and Car will be ready.
ATL: From 11-5 to 9-7, My Pick: 9-7- I see them taking a small step back. People will be ready for them, but they still have a nice team
Car: From 9-7 to 7-9, My Pick: 8-8- They have a chance to be really good, but I just see too many holes, and the Saints and Falcons both getting better, so a 500 season is my pick.
TB: From 3-13 to 5-11, My Pick: 5-11- Their offense has had problems in the preseason, but I am not buying them as one of the worst teams in football, they will be in that second worst group. I think they can find a way to 5 wins.

North:
Min: From 11-5 to 9-7, My Pick: 10-6- We will see what Farve has left, it really isn't a good fit, since all they need is someone to manage the game and not throw picks. Farve had the same amount of INT as he did TD last year, I'm just saying, if he turns around and hands the ball off to ADAP he should be fine.
GB: From 10-6 to 8-8, My Pick: 9-7- I would like nothing more then for the Packers to win the division and for the Viks with Farve to have a tough year, but I think they will just miss out, and be a year away from really taking over this division for the next few years.
Chi: From 5-11 to 7-9, My Pick: 5-11- Sorry I just don't see it. I think Cutler is a bad match for them, they just don't have the weapons, they don't play a style of football that lets him be successful. If I am wrong, I will admit it, but I see a tough year for them.
Det: From 2-14 to 4-12, My Pick: 3-13- And truthfully those 3 wins may be tough, you do have the Rams and 49ers, so great chances for wins their. I just don't see them being much better. They will be better for sure, but when you are 0-16, that isn't saying much. They still have a long way to go.


Playoff Picks:

AFC:

Pit
Pats
SD plays IND
Ten plays Balt
Pitt plays Tenn
Pats play SD
Pitt plays Pats
Pats win 21-17

NFC:

Giants
Saints
Phil plays Min
Cards play Dal
Giants play Cards
Saints play Phil
Giants play Saints
Giants win 24-14


Super Bowl: Pats get their payback and beat my beloved G-men 28-17

MVP: Tom Brady
Offensive ROY: Donald Brown
Defensive ROY: Aaron Curry


Look for the 09 season "put it on the board" predictions coming soon, once me and my old roommate Rob get together and have our annual preseason meeting. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: