Friday, February 13, 2009

What a night

Thursday night, no games for me to coach or go to, so I was staying at home, close to the TV having some daddy pops, and what do I see;

-ND beats Louisville by 33, yeah 33. Wow, ND nice way to break your 7 game loosing streak, beaten the 7th ranked team in the nation by over 30. To be fair 6 of those 7 games were to ranked teams, so that may save them a little, but they still need to get some more wins, and I think, get some help. Meaning all the one bid conferences need their favorites to win, i.e Utah state, Davidson, ect, and all the big conferences can't have a team that wouldn't have made it win, unless of course ND wins the big east tourny, then they are in anyway, but they can't have Arkansas win the sec, Virginia win the ACC, Iowa win the big ten, for example. They are still a good team, and tough to beat at home, especially when shooting well, but if they do get in, and I do mean IF, I don't see them getting out of the first weekend.

-ILL-Northwestern- I will be honest, I only watched about 2 minutes of this game, good thing it was the last two. How crazy. Ill wins by one, and their first, and only lead of the game is with 2.5 seconds left. When I turned it on Northwestern was up 59-50, with under 2 minutes to play. Ill made some big shots and then they were helped by a jump ball, they had the arrow, a travel on another trap, and the fact that this "road" game play at Northwestern had just as many, if not more, fans cheering for them then it did the Wildcats. I don't know if I have seen that before. Northwestern is even a decent basketball team,they have some nice wins this year, at MSU comes to mind, and they have one very good player, and for them to have that much of a disadvantage in a home game is terrible. I would be very upset if I was a Northwestern player, coach, or student who was at the game. They need to get more people there, they just gave away a "neutral" court game that was played on their campus.

-UCLA-ASU- ASU sweeps UCLA in the season series thanks to a few things. One they have two great players, two, they hit some timely shots, three a very questionable call on Collinson that I thought should have tied the game and sent him to the line for one, and instead was called a block, then the technical was the right call, for hitting the ball before it was inbounded, that was a very big call, and then ASU made their free throws. If I was a UCLA fan, which I am not, I would be very upset about that charge call, that to me, it looked like he slide under while Collinson was in the air. If I was a ASU fan, which again, I am not, I would be very happy for a great win, and tell UCLA fans to shut oup, you had your chances and the better team that night won. ASU 1-2-2 macthup zone gave UCLA some problems, and this opens up the PAC 10 a little more. Since now UCLA has 3 losses to join Washington and ASU.

-Gonzaga one a very close game, 72-70 vs St Mary's without Pat Mills, on the road. Any road conference game is a big win, but it brings up the question again, is Mills going to come back in time to save their season? Are they going to have to win the WCC conference tourny to get in. Or if they get to at least the finals, with Mills back, and then losses to Gonzaga again, will the committee not punish them for what they did without their best player. Bottom line, they need to be careful to not lose too many more games, they need to find a way. The Nation needs Pat Mills in the big dance, he is that good, and he needs to be there.

-NBA Trade- what? I saw this and I have some questions and some thoughts. The Heat trade Marion and Marcus Banks to the Raptors for J O Neal and J Moon. Now, Marion's contract is over at the end of this year.. he will not be staying north of the border, and J.O.N. contract is up after the 09-10 season. I know the Heat were looking for someone to take Banks and his contract off their hands, but to give up Marion for J.O.N. doesn't really make much sense to me. I don't know if this is a good trade for either team, time will tell. For the Raptors now you have a more athletic wing player to play the 3 to go with bosh, and for the Heat, you get a guy who CAN be a low post threat to go with d wade, charmers and Beasley. But J.O.N. is not the same guy he was a few years ago, so I really have to question what they are getting, and if it will make them any better. Time will tell, but my first thoughts were...ummm, that is odd to me.

-I am sure we are not done with NBA trades before the deadline, at least I hope we are not. All Star weekend is here in the NBA and I am looking forward to it. The NBA all star game is by far my favorite of the 4 major sports all star games. You couldn't pay me to watch the pro bowl, I didn't know the NHL game happened, and baseball is ok, but it still doesn't really matter to me, I don't get excited for it. the NBA game is basically just a no defense version of the game, so more scoring, which everyone loves. It should be a great game, and a entertaining weekend.

That is all I have for now. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: