Friday, March 6, 2009

Pac 10 bubble

Yesterday was the big 12, now lets look at the pac 10 teams who are dancing, and teams on the bubble, who could get in. This league is down compared to last year, but when you lose guys like mayo, love and bayless, plus basically the entire WSU team that is to be excepted.


IN: Washington, UCLA, ASU, and CAl

Wasington- at 23-7, 13-4 in conference, they are of course in for sure, right now they are the top of the conference. But looking at their schedule not a lot of things jump out that gets you pumped for this team. I like Brockman and pointdexter and they have some other nice pieces, but their best non conference win is ok state, they lost to both kansas and fl, and in conference they have lost twice to Cal, spilt with UCLA and zona, and beat ASU twice. I don't see them making much of a run

UCLA- Also at 24-7, but 12-5 in conference. They are not close to as good as they were the last few years. They lost to Michigan and Texas in non conference and have zero good non conference wins, truthfully winning at SLU might be their best. They too, are of course in, but if they get a 4 seed or something, watch out for that first round match up.. depending on who their drawn, because they do play hard and physical defense they have a chance to make a run, but I will wait until I see who they are playing before I make any strong predictions.

ASU- 21-8, 10-7, They are a good team, but try finding their good non conference win too... you may be looking for awhile. In conference they have beaten UCLA and Zona twice and they did lose at Cal, they play them at home tomorrow. They are a team that will be in, for sure, the question is, how far will they go, again, I think it depends on match ups

Cal- 22-8, 11-6, In non conference they lost to FSU and Mizzu and really don't have any good non conference wins at all either. Normally a 22 win team in the pac 10 would be a lock, but this year, really, if you look at them, I don't know if they deserve it. Like I just said, they are playing ASU tomorrow and have already beaten them once, plus Washington twice, and they beat zona the only time they played, and loosing twice to UCLA shouldn't really hurt them too much. I think they will be in, but truthfully, not sure if they deserve it. If they beat asu tomorrow on the road they are in for sure.

Bubble: zona

Zona- they are 18-12 and 8-9 in conference. What is helping them they, unlike every other pac 10 team actually has some good non conference wins, beating both gonzaga and Kansas, however losses to UAB, Texas a&m and UNLV don't help. In conference they have spilt with UCLA and Washington, and lost both to Cal and ASU. They also have lost 4 games in a row. They do have Stanford coming up tomorrow, which should be a win, but either way, I think without major and I mean major work in the pac 10 tournament, I don't see how they can make it. especially if you ask, who has a better resume zona or providence, or cuse, or even a team like Michigan or PSU.


The Pac ten is a little down, and it all comes down to match ups for them. ASU and UCLA are still good enough to beat anyone and make a elite 8 run. Washington will depend on match ups.. Cal, I think will be in, but shouldn't, and Zona, may get in, just because of their name alone, but I also don't think they have done enough. They have some nice wins, but also some bad losses... I am not a big pac ten fan this year, but time will tell how right, or wrong I am... but I think, as always.. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: