Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sweet 16

So a great first weekend of the big dance is over. Now we have a few days to relax. There may not have been buzzer beater after buzzer beater, but they were some close games, and a lot of very hard played games. I really enjoyed the first weekend, as I always do. Though my bracket may not be doing as well as I would have liked, I do still have all 4 of my final four teams and 7 of my elite 8, so I still has a chance. I am very impressed with a lot of things, and here are some of them;

-The way Marquette played without D James. I know they still have talent, and even though they lost a tough game today to Mizzu, and only beat Utah State by one, they played very hard this weekend. My hat goes off to them

-The big east has 5 teams in the sweet 16, which can't be too surprising since they had 3 number ones, and two 3, one of whom was playing at home. Of course the top of that league is very very good, no question about it. But the bottom of the league isn't, which makes the league has a whole not as far and away the best as big east fans would like to think it is. It is the best, no question, but after the top 3 teams I think, any of the other teams could lose to any other conferences top teams, or at least, have a good game.

-The big 12 has looked good, well at least the first round, but then having three sweet 16 teams in OK, Mizzu and Kansas is good, Then the big ten has two, with MSU and Purdue, and the ACC who has of course UNC and Duke. Then X, Gonzaga, and Memphis from non BCA conferences, and then who would have guessed the one pac 10 school is Zona, only in March.

-Almost all chalk. this is becoming a pattern. You may have a upset here or there, but clearly if you want to win your pool, keep the high seeds around. The sweet 16 is almost all chalk. Besides Zona, who is a 12 seed, the rest are all 1-4 and 2-3, except Purdue who is a 5, I mean, wow. There hasn't been too many big surprises. I guess Wake would be the only one, but again, they are so young, that if one team would fall from those top 4 seeds in each bracket it would be them. Talented yes, but they are young.

- I don't know what I am going to do till Thursday. Our basketball banquette is Tuesday, since we once again, for the 4th year in a row, lost in the regional final, but other then that, I have nothing till Thursday, when the sweet 16 starts. I do have a fantasy baseball draft on Saturday, so I will continue to get ready for that, but that's about it. Maybe I need to regroup after the weekend, watch some movies, relax, and of course, I still have to watch my daughter. So she will keep me busy. I hope everyone enjoyed this weekend as much as I have. I'm right, you're wrong.

No comments: